• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edible Landscaping

dockhl

I have wanted to put an espaliered fruit tree on our south fence since we moved in. I got trumped and there will be a nonedible going there instead. Trained trees are such a treat!

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

This reminds me of a resturant we stopped in, several years ago in wine country. EVERYthing, from the borders (rosemary), mass plantings (artichokes) and ornamentals (lemon grass) was for use in that resturant and it was awsome. I know that in the 'back' somewhere they hid the tomatoe and squash plants, but the landscaping effect was perfect and practical as well as beautiful. I thought they were pretty ballsey because the rosemary flowers really attracted the bees, but the waitress said they have some arrangement w/a bee keep and they utilized that honey in many dishes. If I were blessed enough to live in that area I'd definately put edibles out there as my landscaping. Instead of wisteria on a trellis, I'd do grapes. Olive and almond trees for backdrop. I envy you this opportunity.

highchef~

which wine country? which restaurant? Sounds like the kind of landscaping that I am looking for (in OUR wine country!) I should post my plant list...............very Meditterranean.

Sorry, so late getting back. Napa...about 8 yrs. ago. neither dh or I can remember the name of the resturant..sorry. I can't say enough about how high I got off that landscaping though..I thought I was going to trip when I saw how they used edible plants for everything from hedges to ornamentals to grasses. You get the pic. Only in Calif. can you plant like that. Wow. I'd love to be able to do that. Gets too hot here for most of that sort of thing. Let us know how this turns out, ok?