• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Keum Ho Jung

Daniel

Keum Ho Jung

518 Old Post Rd

Ste 12

Edison, NJ 08817

(732) 650-1588

Came here the other night with a group of people. It was a Friday, booths of 4 to 6 filled the restaurant.. It was full but, not hectic.. We went with the little one so there are some obligatory items that must be ordered.. Fried dumplings go with out saying..

The first thing I noticed was the perfectly crispy, outer shell.. Was most likely deep fried.. Despite this being a love of hers, these were a little too fancy.. The pork was really wonderful in my opinion.. However, there was ginger and scallions added to the mixture.. The ginger kept the meat moist, the whole thing felt a little more loafy then normal.. These were great..

2295611190_3ea311a1cb.jpg

My parents recently discovering Panjuns, were looking forward to trying a different version.. This had scallions and various fish.. Nice large pieces in the mix.. Again, well fried..

2294815733_bb3f6e42b9.jpg

One thing I have noticed recently is to order appetizers first, then order the BBQ.. I dont know what tradition dictates but, its more enjoyable tp eat with no banchans and or hot grill cooking in your mug.. This at least calls off the banchan brigade for a little while.. They retreat but, you know they are coming back in 5 minutes.. With an expression on their face as if you never had the conversation.. So we order starters first and then order the meat afterwards..

Next up was cold noodles with pickled skate on the bone.. Wonderful chewy soft noodles, sliced up Asian Pears, and tart raw skate on the chewy bone. All sitting in a chilled subtle sweet broth..

Action shot with the scissors table side.. Classier then table side cesar, guy just rolls up with some hair clippers.

2294818265_6a86f811f4.jpg

Ok, so now I am ready for the banchan.. That and another bottle of Souchu.. Might not be able to spell it but, I have no problem ordering it.. Also this pause takes them off hover mode immediately.. I hate when you have like 3 or 4 people pushing you along all night..

Banchan.. Notice the Budweiser on the table.. This was a result of a 5 minute conversation my father had with the waiter.. He didnt want an OB with me so he tried to get a lite beer.. He tried his best to explain but, conceded with the bud..

Nothing was bursting with freshness.. The usual suspects.

2295612066_fe1899e2ce.jpg

How anti-climatic.. I am missing the money shot.. A big old pile of two portions of Kalbi.. Served with the bone.. They tried to pull out this little side gas burner plate but, we insisted on charcoal.. Lady gave us a little hard time but, 40 dollars of beautiful short ribs gets cooked on charcoal.. No photos but, it was pretty spectacular..

Pulling a rookie maneuver we filled up on the free salad and breadsticks.. The burning white charcoals would have been great with a lot of things..

So out of my two choices in Edison, I like this for the meat and panjuns.. The other place for dumplings for the little one, there cold noodle dish, banchan, and the friendly friendly peoples..

This menu had some things that might be good in groups.. Fried chicken with garlic might be something to get for the table.. Different dishes with Fish Guts as featured ingredients. Will be on my next order.

All in all, if someone goes to both, there is a good chance of leaning either way.. If I have advice to offer, always ask for charcoal, dont let them pull the bunson burners out on ya.

Edited by Daniel (log)