• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pesca

rezcook

Matteo the owner, was the proprietor of Blue Marin, the Italian Fish tratoria that had relocated from The Marche de la Tour in Saint Leonard, to Crescent street in the late 90's. From my many meals at Blue Marin, I can attest to his ability to put out first class fish served in true Italian style.

You may have noticed the hiatus between the closing of Blue Marin and the opening of Pesce, this was due to Matteo and family moving to South Beach to open another Italian style fish emporium down there.

I am not certain if Pesce has the same staff in the kitchen, or if their menu is the same. But I must go back to see if his Lobster Fra Diavolo is as perfect as it used to be, or if he still has his amazing Penne with eggplant and bocconcini

I will report back after I check it out.

I've heard and read mixed reviews of Pesca in Montreal's Little Italy on St Laurent, but haven't been there myself. Anyone care to share their thoughts?

Veni. Vidi. Voro.

Checked it out.. almost.

We showed up last evening looking to enjoy a nice Italian meal, but from the moment we stood in front of the door to the moment we attempted to order, something was off. It just did not feel right.

As we walked from our parking spot we noticed that Tratoria Casa Mia, a very unassuming restaurant, was half full, and Lucca was busting at the seams with patrons. Yet, Pesca had one couple sitting in a vast sea of tables.The host asks us if we have reservations. I ask him if he is serious.

We walk in and notice that the display case at the back of the restaurant that is intended to be displaying the days fish is empty and dark.

We are presented with a menu that appears to be incomplete. No, it was not a mistake, as both menus were the same. One page of soups and salads, another with starters, and then a sheet of Table d'hote specials for the evening....??? No page with mains. I ask the waiter if we are missing a page. He seems puzzled by the question, apologizes to us as it is his first night there, and asks what I mean. I explain. He tells us that the mains are the table d'hote, and that the first pages are additional starters if we want more than is offered on the Table d'hote. ... o.k. :huh:

I ask what the item on the table d'hote called chefs recommendation is. He heads to the kitchen and returns telling us it is a veal scallopini. I ask him how it is served, he looks at me the same way my dog looks at me when I talk to her. He is puzzled, and has no clue. He offers to go ask the chef again. We decide that there is clearly something wrong happening here. We ask for our coats and cross the street for a pizza.

Before going back to the car, we decide to take a look at Pesca to see if there are any other patrons. there are 2 tables of 4 at 9:30.

If this place is going to make it, they need to clean up their front end and do some marketing. There were clearly 4 guys at the front end, serving one table for 2 and then 2 tables of 4. God knows how many they have in the back end. I know the owner is capable, and can develop a successful restaurant again. I just don't get it. :wacko:

I've heard and read mixed reviews of Pesca in Montreal's Little Italy on St Laurent, but haven't been there myself. Anyone care to share their thoughts?

Veni. Vidi. Voro.