• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Almost' Vegan and Meat Lover - Chicago Recs pleas

OnlyMe

Hi all,

Hubby (meat lover) and I (very strict vegetarian bordering on Vegan) will be visiting Chicago from January 1st until 4th. We are looking for places to suit both our tastes. We eat most any cuisine although I do not eat cheese of any description thus making it difficult fo find places other than Indian or Chinese cuisines. I do take cream and eggs but no fish, poultry or meat or the aforementioned cheese or any byproduct of any of the above. I know it's a big ask BUT, does anyone have any recs?? Most of the places that have vegetarian dishes on their menus cater for those who eat cheese (and sometimes those dishes just don't work without cheese) and while it looks like there are some lovely purely vegetarian restaurants in Chicago these won't work as hubby isn't a veggie kind of guy.

Also, we will be staying in either the Sofitel Water Tower or the Amalfi which are both fairly central so we are looking for places relatively near. On one evening we will be going to the LaSalle Bank Theatre so recs for someplace to eat either beforehand or afterwards would be great. And one last one, we LOVE our deserts so any recs for those would also be appreciated.

Hope this isn't too much to ask but all advice is much appreciated.

To summarize my recommendations from that other forum :wink:

- Dinner at one of our many excellent steakhouses

- Dinner at Green Zebra

- Dinner at North Pond

- Indian and Pakistani restaurants on Devon Avenue

- Atwood Cafe before or after the LaSalle Bank Theater

- Desserts at Hot Chocolate, Fox and Obel, and Vanille Patisserie

Have fun!

Edited by nsxtasy (log)

Greektown offers many options for you both. You may have to do a little selection for cheese-free items, but they are there. I like Greek Islands, Venus and Artopolis (which has great desserts, although you might have to work with them a bit to get cheese-free vegetarian entrees).

You also may want to look at Middle Eastern places, such as Reza's.

Honestly, I can't think of a steakhouse that offers much of interest to a vegetarian.

LAZ

Honestly, I can't think of a steakhouse that offers much of interest to a vegetarian.

I agree. But the salad bar at meat palace Fogo de Chao is very highly regarded by a few of my vegetarian friends. I'm not sure, but I think they even offer a special price to 'salad bar only' diners. Love the Greektown suggestion, too.

=R=

Fogo de Chao

661 N Lasalle St

Chicago, IL 60610

312 932-9330

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Hi all,

Thanks for the recs!

nsxtasy, glad to see you here! Hope it's not a kind of a taboo to post on both Forums - I have found sometimes people on different forums have different preferences and me being the ever undecisive person that I am, I like to have all options laid out before me :smile:

LAZ, neither hubby nor I have ever been to a Greek restaurant so now might be the time to give it a try - any particular recommendations on items to order?

Also, re nxstasy's comment about steakhouses - on that 'other' forum I mentioned that Hubby will be looking for a steak on one night and while steakhouses aren't really veggie friendly, I do enjoy some good sides (especially those AMAZING creamed potatoes) and am willing to compromise for one night so hubby gets his steak.

ronnie, Fogo de Chao looks very interesting. Hubby would definately love it but have you any idea what kind of items are at the salad bar that would suit me?? I'm not hugely into salads but I might be able to be convinced :smile:

Thanks again for your replies

It's fine to post on more than one forum; each has its own audience (with some overlap) and its own atmosphere.

Yes, I mentioned steakhouses because OnlyMe did so first. Most steakhouses offer very similar menus; I don't know why, but certain items, such as creamed spinach and lobster bisque, seem to be almost obligatory. It's not as uncommon as it might sound to find a vegetarian at a steakhouse. On the other forum, I posted the non-meat/fish offerings shown on the websites of several of the most popular steakhouses. These include a variety of salads (some entree salads) as well as many vegetable dishes. While most of the latter dishes are conceived as sides, they could be served as mains as well.

Also, many restaurants (steakhouses and non-steakhouses alike) are happy to prepare a vegetarian plate for you even if it's not on the printed menu. Don't be afraid to ask (either at the table or in advance) if you don't see something you want on their menu.

LAZ, neither hubby nor I have ever been to a Greek restaurant so now might be the time to give it a try - any particular recommendations on items to order?

Also, re nxstasy's comment about steakhouses - on that 'other' forum I mentioned that Hubby will be looking for a steak on one night and while steakhouses aren't really veggie friendly, I do enjoy some good sides (especially those AMAZING creamed potatoes) and am willing to compromise for one night so hubby gets his steak.

Here are a few ideas from Greek Islands:

Tzatziki A creamy yogurt-cucumber-garlic spread flavored with lemon and pepper

Skordalia Smooth garlic-potato spread, blended with imported extra virgin olive oil

Sweet Peppers Roasted red peppers marinated with olive oil, garlic, and fresh herbs

Beets in Olive Oil Crisp beet slices marinated with garlic in an olive oil vinaigrette

Cold Lima Beans Greek gigantes (Giant White beans) with herbs in olive oil

Hot Lima Beans Greek gigantes (white beans) baked in a tomato-herb sauce

Lahanosalata Finely chopped cabbage with carrots, and celery in garlic vinaigrette

Horta Blanched fresh dandelion greens served with lemons and olive oil

Greek Potato Salad Potato chunks flavored with onions, extra virgin olive oil, and garlic

Vegetarian Mousaka Baked eggplant and potato casserole with bechamel sauce (might have cheese--ask)

Vegetarian plate An assortment of vegetables baked in olive oil (briami)

Fresh artichokes in homemade egg-lemon sauce

Spanacorizo Spinach and rice sauteed in tomato sauce

Fasolakia String beans in tomato sauce

Bamies Baked okra in a light tomato sauce

Potatoes Oven baked in olive oil

Rice pilaf Rice served with a dollop of tomato sauce

Your husband should try the loukanico, sausage flavored with orange rind, and any of the lamb dishes. Also, if you've truly never been to a Greek restaurant, and he eats cheese, the saganaki. But almost everything here is good.

Strictly from a meat perspective, the best steakhouse in town is Primehouse in the James Hotel. I just had their 70-day dry-aged aged rib steak and it was divine. I think they might do OK for a vegetarian if you called in advance and talked to the chef, Rick Gresh, who is pretty inventive. But expect that all around you people are going to be eating food that looks like a dinosaur's dinner.

LAZ

The salad bar at Fogo is what I would describe as "premium," for lack of a better term. In addition to a few above-average, pre-made salads (lettuce-based and other varieties) that are similar to what you would probably find at other places. They also have several distinctive salad-bar offerings like whole artichoke bottoms, asparagus spears and a few varieties of fresh and pickled peppers. There are usually a few decent mid-level cheeses, some good bread. There's a lot more but I'm drawing a blank at the moment. And there are probably some seasonal pros and cons in play, too but because of the wide array of offerings, seasonality shouldn't be a make or break issue.

Thinking about it, one could argue that the overall quality of the salad bar items is actually higher than that of the meat at Fogo de Chao. Stop in and take a look. If it doesn't look like your type of thing, you can always adjust course.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

• 1 month later...