• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Montville Inn

foodcyclist

Is this also (or formerly) known as the Columbia Inn? If so, I went once for a private party there and thought it was decent...but just that. Nothing that got me to return.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

It is the not The Columbia Inn which is open and business is good.

The Montville Inn is a brand new building down the road. It used to be a shot and beer joint and it was torn down and a brand new high end place was built.

I have not been there yet but I'm a regular at the Columbia Inn

RAF

To reply to my own post. My wife and I dined there on Saturday night. We arrived without reservations but luckily early enough to get a table before the place filled up. It's a nice space with equal space consideration given to the dining and bar areas. Comfortable booths and chairs. Reasonably priced as well.

The service was solid without any rough spots. The starter portions were pretty huge. I had the BBQ sampler which consisted of 4 HUGE fall off the bone ribs and an assortment of brisket and bbq sliders. I was full after that. Delicious! My wife had the NJ tomato and mozzerella. Nice presentation and flavor. Her entree was a double cut pork chip on the bone with a fuji apple puree. Delicious. My entree was an uninspiring seared tuna with mango salsa and coconut flavored rice. A bit underflavored and the mango was ice cold. Kind of a disappointment given the rest of the meal.

Overall , a very good experience as well as an excellent value. I'll definitely be back... this time with a bigger appetite!