• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flatiron Lounge

BryanZ

Although my knowledge of cocktails is woefully, pathetically minimal, I had a couple great drinks at the Flatiron Lounge earlier this week. It seems that the Flatiron Lounge gets somewhat marginalized in the discussion of New York's best cocktail lounges. Possibly because it's less hyped or isn't as far downtown, Flatiron seems oft recommended but less frequently discussed. For this reason, I'm starting a thread for it.

I really like this place because it's so centrally located and accessible. For a visitor staying in Midtown with an hour or two to kill before or after dinner, I'd probably recommend visiting Flatiron as opposed to seeking out one of the trendier bars and using the time saved to have another drink.

I walked into Flatiron at about 5:30, just after their 5 o'clock opening. Giuseppe was manning the bar and quickly turned his attention to us. Taking our preferences into account--tastes, plans for later, mood--he created two great summer drinks for my companion and me. The first was what he called a Southside #2. The other was a hybrid Rum Punch-Bermuda Swizzle. Both were well-crafted and served with genuine care and interest in our enjoyment.

its discussed frequently in the cocktail forum.

Julie knows what she's doing.

like Pegu Club...it has a bit of a problem in that the majority of its business appears to come from typical drinkers ordering beer, wine or vodka crap. on the other hand...that's good for the place financially.

for whatever reason...most NY cocktail discussions take place in the cocktail forum (where I think you'll find agreement that Flatiron belongs in the top echelon along with Pegu, M&H, D&C, and P.D.T.....)

Although my knowledge of cocktails is woefully, pathetically minimal, I had a couple great drinks at the Flatiron Lounge earlier this week.  It seems that the Flatiron Lounge gets somewhat marginalized in the discussion of New York's best cocktail lounges.  Possibly because it's less hyped or isn't as far downtown, Flatiron seems oft recommended but less frequently discussed.  For this reason, I'm starting a thread for it.

I really like this place because it's so centrally located and accessible.  For a visitor staying in Midtown with an hour or two to kill before or after dinner, I'd probably recommend visiting Flatiron as opposed to seeking out one of the trendier bars and using the time saved to have another drink.

I walked into Flatiron at about 5:30, just after their 5 o'clock opening.  Giuseppe was manning the bar and quickly turned his attention to us.  Taking our preferences into account--tastes, plans for later, mood--he created two great summer drinks for my companion and me.  The first was what he called a Southside #2.  The other was a hybrid Rum Punch-Bermuda Swizzle.  Both were well-crafted and served with genuine care and interest in our enjoyment.

Couldn't agree more, one of my favorite spots and my top go-to, especially because for those of us from the northern climes Flatiron is a little easier to get to than Pegu. And no, it hasn't received the sort of buzz or PR in the general media as a Serious Cocktail Joint that Pegu has, so you do tend to get the crowds of local workers who aren't even aware there's a list and who grab the quickest bottled beer or vodka-based drink. Pity, cuz there's a lot of enthusiastic talent behind the bar capable of really dazzling.

Food, glorious food!

“Eat! Eat! May you be destroyed if you don’t eat! What sin have I committed that God should punish me with you! Eat! What will become of you if you don’t eat! Imp of darkness, may you sink 10 fathoms into the earth if you don’t eat! Eat!” (A. Kazin)