• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

AVA

shacke

This place is not in Northern Liberties, it's just off of South St, a half a block north on 3rd. It always looks good, there seem to be people in there every time I look longingly in the windows, yet I've never actually eaten there for some reason.

So are looking for this place, or maybe Copper Bistro (on the site of the former Aden) in Northern Liberties?

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Perhaps it is the curse of the 3 letter eG search here (Vie Pif!  Vie Rae!) but I have not heard or read about this Northern Liberties place.  Rich P may have since they boast a best BYO of philly style nod.

Anyone?

http://www.avarestaurant.com/

<spatial data removed>FWIW, I was there a couple years ago and it fell into that wide range of places that, while they're not bad, aren't good enough to warrant a return visit with so many other great places around. If I remember correctly, the night I was there they were out of walnut flour to make the pasta for what I ordered, and whatever they used to substitute for it wasn't up to snuff. I remember dessert being pretty good, though. With Southwark, Ansill, and Gayle in such close proximity, I doubt I'll make it back there.

Edited by Buckethead (log)

Solid BYOB, and I agree, nothing spectacular, but certainly a lovely, pleasant place to dine in the South St Area..

I dont have anything to do with STYLE anymore, and only know from Ava because I ate there once.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Ava is convenient for my work-neighborhood. I like them a lot as a Center City place for the homemade pastas and generally not-too-fussy, not-too-expensive Italian food I'd usually get closer to where I live in South Philly.

That said, the service tends to be friendly but scattershot.