• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Winch- poisson in the 18th

lucas thomas

There were four of us for dinner. We were all a bit tired, it being a Sunday evening and the inevitability of a Monday looming. We were lucky and happy to have landed at the Winch.

It is difficult in a major market to find a restaurant which is quiet, spacious, well-lit and comfortably modern without spending a respectable amount of money. Our dinner worked out to 75 euros for two and included three courses with a well chosen and affordable Macon Villages. The restaurant is tastefully done in wood tones and white with colorful large format photographs of the Cotes d'Armor in Brittany. I would go back if only to have a cocktail in the cozy lounge and bar.

The food was casually but thoughtfully well-plated and the dishes reflect a restraint of seasoning which may be the intelligent course to follow with a menu focused on fish. I am thinking here of mache dressed barely and with only oil, or of a lightly creamed fish broth that, to my taste, wanted a little salt and pepper.

How do you tactfully object to service which is warm without being overly personal but could be a little tighter? It is unacceptable to auction plates--'who had the tartare'--even in a restaurant that is casual.

These observations didn't take up much of my thinking however. We had a very pleasant and relaxed dinner with good friends and what more can one ask for on a Sunday evening?

Thank you for the report. Could you be a bit more precise about what you ordered?

Le Winch

44, rue Damrémont 75018

Tel: 01-42-23-04-63

Metro Lamarck Caulaincourt

Open Everyday (except Monday lunch) Lunch 12h00 à 14h30 et de Dinner 18h00 à 22h30

That, if correct, is a daunting schedule. I wonder how it might affect the service and cooking.

Did you try any of the following?

- Mille feuille de saumon fumé façon parmentier

- Sardines bretonnes marinées

- Salade de langoustines

- Bar rôti aux herbes

- Gateau de sandre à la moelle

- Tarte tatin à la poire

- Paris-Brest

Recommending those dishes in particular, Resto a Paris gave it a very positive review, (3 hearts) which they recently updated with the summer menu.

http://www.restoaparis.com/fiche-restauran...s/le-winch.html

Edited by VivreManger (log)

FYI my review is here. Three of us had the sardines with crisp bread strips and langoustines wrapped in pastry (wonderful); then I moved on to as-good-as-they-get scallops with roasted veggies but my co-diners had an even better Breton white fish soup; then they both had a tarte tatin.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Are the smoking laws in effect yet?

Yes for all buildings but bars & restos, no until I think January 2008 for them. But we've found more & more places say they are no smoking this summer. Indeed at Villaret the patron told us hardly anyone smokes anymore and quoted some data about differences by sex and age.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Thank you for the report.  Could you be a bit more precise about what you ordered? 

Le Winch   

44, rue Damrémont 75018

Tel: 01-42-23-04-63

Metro  Lamarck Caulaincourt 

Open Everyday (except Monday lunch) Lunch 12h00 à 14h30  et de Dinner 18h00 à 22h30

That, if correct, is a daunting schedule.  I wonder how it might affect the service and cooking. 

Did you try any of the following? 

- Mille feuille de saumon fumé façon parmentier

- Sardines bretonnes marinées

- Salade de langoustines

- Bar rôti aux herbes

- Gateau de sandre à la moelle

- Tarte tatin à la poire

- Paris-Brest

Recommending those dishes in particular, Resto a Paris gave it a very positive review, (3 hearts) which they recently updated with the summer menu. 

http://www.restoaparis.com/fiche-restauran...s/le-winch.html

VivreManger,

Firsts included

-Mille feuille d'espadon aux aubergines

-Veloute d'asperges, mousse haddock

-Salade de langoustines aux oranges

Main Course,

-Cotriade bretonne(white fish stew)

-Trio de tartare: saumon/wasabi,dorade/mangue,fletan/olives noires

Dessert,

-Fromage blanc de St. Malo facon tatin

-Paris Brest

-Poire tatin glace au caramel

It looks as though we chose from the Summer menu. Everyone was content with their food-raves for the cotriade and the paris brest. Cheers.

Edited by lucas thomas (log)