• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vox populi, vox dei?

MarketStEl

The readers' poll season has officially kicked off in the 'burbs, with the Delaware County Daily Times' annual "Best of Delco" advertising section appearing in today's edition.

These readers' polls are little more than popularity contests. Ballot-box stuffing is not an uncommon phenomenon, especially in categories where there are either few contenders or establishments with fanatically loyal followings.

But that doesn't mean that the winners are necessarily undeserving. Sometimes a crowd favorite deserves the honor because it truly serves high quality fare, such as Charlie's hamburger stand (Best Burger 2007) or Nifty Fifty's (Best Milkshake 2007).

But there are those results that leave one scratching one's head. Take these two:

Best Bakery: Phatso's

Best Doughnuts: Dunkin' Donuts

I probably never would have heard about Phatso's if I hadn't started working at Widener, but this little storefront just steps from the Chester train station turns out fantastic baked goods, including the best doughnuts I've eaten in quite some time. While Dunkin' Donuts has Phatso's beat when it comes to variety, the chain can't hold a candle to the Chester bakery on quality.

Apparently, Delaware County residents recognize Phatso's quality when it comes to things like wedding or birthday cakes, for the establishment picked up its fifth consecutive Best Bakery prize in this year's "Best of Delco" roundup. I would think that those same people would recognize the superiority of the doughnuts too. I'm sure there are perfectly reasonable explanations for this disconnect, but none come to my mind right off the top. Maybe you can help me. Or maybe you might have your own examples of egregious leave-takings of the senses like this one.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3