• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Espai Sucre

tan319

Espai Sucre has been in the process of website reconstruction but it's coming on slowly but is back up.

It's an ambitious remod with video presentation, etc.Espai Sucre

Check it out.

Btw, does anyone have any reports, pro or con, pix, etc.?

Gabe?

'doc?

Thanks in advance!!!

2317/5000

Hate to admit it, Ted, but I haven't been. I tried to go one time and they were closed for some reason or another.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I ate there last year.

We had the 5-course dessert menu and an extra savoury dish (fantastic suckling pig).

I loved the range of sharp, bright and intense flavours, interesting combinations of ingredients, beautiful presentation, friendly, efficient and helpful service.

My two stand-out dishes:

A soup of marialuisa (lemon verbena), green apple, lemon mousse and spiced yoghurt. I found this totally addictive, so refreshing and zingingly tasty, I'd love a bowl every morning to really get me going for the day.

A symphony in 'red': an oblong of red wine gelee sat under a tomato sorbet, which was next to raspberry ice cream and strands of wild strawberry marshmallow. A pool of hisbiscus sauce was poured over and clouds of vanilla granita and ice-cream added a dramatic Snow White-style contrast. It looked and sounded too much but it was wonderfully balanced and an intriguing exploration of flavours.

One small criticism: I thought the middle courses of the menu were too similar in their combinations of form, texture and temperature, and I thought there was too much ice-cream. I find the very-cold/warm combo slightly taxing. Jordi Butron also managed to produce a chocolate dish I didn't much like - which is almost a miracle - a german black bread cake with a basil-chocolate cream. the cake was too rich for me and i thought the basil didn't do the chocolate any favours. but that's just my personal preference.

Overall I would highly recommend a visit unless you hate fruit and veg. Even if you do, it may be worth going - it might change your palate's mind.

I'm actually doing a mini-course at the espai sucre school this week. Today's the last day and I have to create my own dessert. Wish me luck!