• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Attention Truffle Lovers!

While at Urban Fare this afternoon, I noticed that they are carrying white or black truffle butter.

Intrigued, I asked if any of the counter people had tried it - obviously they hadn't, and the gentleman was kind enough to open a container for me. He spread it on crackers and offered it to us - oh boy - was it good!

The name is D'artagnan White (or black) Truffle Butter - 3 oz. for $9.99. I've already eaten half of it on some bread, but I imagine it would be fantastic on pasta, in risotto or with scrambled eggs. Much nicer than the truffle oil, IMHO.

The label says it's made with porcini mushrooms as well as truffles, but it's the truffle flavour that shines through. It's made my day! Sooo good!

They also had fresh fish on sale - marlin, ahi tuna, shark, mahi mahi and swordfish. We tried them all, and they were unbelievably fresh - no fishy-ness at all. Great on the grill.

Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

~ Robert Byrne

Good Evening!

My only comment would be somewhere on that label is probably the term "aroma" or something to that effect. "Aroma" or whatever they used is another of saying artificially flavored. Most truffle flavored items, i.e. truffle oils, butters and spreads, are artificially flavored. I forget the chemical but that's what you are tasting.

I had a friend who worked for Alain Chapel before he died (I guess it would be harder to work for him after) and she was slicing truffles thinly t put on a dish... apparently not the larger normal portion. He looked at her and said "If you are going to use truffles than use truffles." With that being said... you are not going to find real truffles for less than they cost... wholesale prices of real black truffles are around $400/pound. Truffle season starts in December and ends usually in February.

Grimod

eat foods in their due season

"Bacchus has drowned

more men then Neptune"

Thomas Fuller

Good Evening!

My only comment would be somewhere on that label is probably the term "aroma" or something to that effect.  "Aroma" or whatever they used is another of saying artificially flavored.  Most truffle flavored items, i.e. truffle oils, butters and spreads, are artificially flavored.   I forget the chemical but that's what you are tasting.

I had a friend who worked for Alain Chapel before he died (I guess it would be harder to work for him after) and she was slicing truffles thinly t put on a dish...  apparently not the larger normal portion.  He looked at her and said "If you are going to use truffles than use truffles."  With that being said...  you are not going to find real truffles for less than they cost...  wholesale prices of real black truffles are around $400/pound.  Truffle season starts in December and ends usually in February.

Grimod

eat foods in their due season

Ingredients on the label are as follows:

Pure creamery butter, porcini mushrooms, white truffles (tuber magnatum pico & tuber albidum), soy sauce(?) white truffle flavour, salt.

Works for me.

Edited by quattroporte (log)

Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

~ Robert Byrne

Ingredients on the label are as follows:

Pure creamery butter, porcini mushrooms, white truffles (tuber magnatum pico & tuber albidum), soy sauce(?) white truffle flavour, salt.

Works for me.

"Bacchus has drowned

more men then Neptune"

Thomas Fuller

While at Urban Fare this afternoon, I noticed that they are carrying white or black truffle butter.

Which merchant was carrying the truffle butter?

It can be found in the cheese area, with all the speciality butters.

~ Robert Byrne

• 2 weeks later...

I have never tried this brand of truffle butter, but I noticed that they added soy sauce....must be an umami thing to bring out flavors.

speaking of porcini's which I absolutely have fallen in love with after living in Italy for 5 weeks, a co worker of mine suggested cooking them with shrimp to bring out the flavor of the porcini more

"You're only as good as the last dish you sent out"- Nigel Webber

"Live to Cook"