• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tupper Lake

TarteTatin

What route are you taking and when are you planning to arrive? Time available to dine? Cost parameters? Your best and widest variety of choices will be Saratoga Springs, although there are some good options further north. Brunetto's or The Grist Mill in Warrensburg are good and not out of your way if you are taking I87.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Which route are you taking? 81 to 88 then 87. NY State Thruway?

Also if you make it in 7 hours your doing some serious driving. :biggrin:

Edited to add. Pretty good timing Doc. We must be on the same wavelength. :laugh:

Edited by robert40 (log)

Robert R

We're hoping to leave on Friday, June 22nd in the afternoon, and about halfway through- somewhere- have dinner.

Price is not a problem, although we're big wine drinkers, but hate to drink and drive. Therefore, if it's too tempting, we'll be frustrated! On the other hand, we're big local area- help the farmers- food people. We like good creative, nice places, and also like down home diners, and everything inbetween! Just like good food!

I have a note into the people we're meeting up there, to see about the route.

I think it's 287 to the New York State Thruway to I-87 North. US9 to NY 73N.

Mapquest says just under 7 hours.

Philly Francophiles

It should be about a 4.5-5 hour drive to Saratoga Springs from Philadelphia. Given your criteria for local food, Beekman St. Bistro in Saratoga might fit the bill. Chez Sophie might also do the trick.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I always liked the Lumber Jack, the one with all the painted saws, but that was for breakfast, and I don't know if it's still around or what it's called now. If you are going where Doc mentioned, you are going through where my cousin is having her wedding in a couple weeks. Unfortunately I won't be attending.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we spent 9 hours traveling (including our brief appetizers) from Philly to Tupper Lake.

Wonderful, Friday night traffic.

Coming back on Monday- it was a mere 7 hours, so, it's all about timing.

We called Bistro Beekman and they were "closing early for the night".

We then called Chez Sophie from 15 minutes away, and found out they were only serving at the bar after 9 p.m. until 10 p.m.

We arrived at 9:25, to a very packed bar, very hungry after driving in traffic.

The restauran is very pretty, however the restaurant and hotel aren't very well marked.

( Saratoga Springs seemed to be full of young guys in cars honking at women- and getting pulled over by cops.)

After waiting a long time, we were able to order from the bar menu. I simply ordered the charcuterie, and hubby ordered Raclette. Two glasses of Muscadet. My charcuterie was good. Homemade pate, they said, and the typical other meats. Not large, but ok, with a little micro greens. They served a white bean spread to start, with some bread. Very garlicky, and good.

Sam had the Raclette, little potatoes with cheese that had little bits of cornichon in it.

The bill came to $35.

The strange thing about the evening:

Sam went to the bathroom, and these guys that we had seen a few minutes ago at the bar-they were ordering shots-were there...Sam entered the bathroom and went to do his thing---the two guys stared at him. When he finished and turned around-they were doing lines on the bathroom sink area.

Now, we used to do that in the 80's, but I have to say, haven't seen it that blatantly in a bathroom area since then. These guys just seemed to be dressed and straight out of the 80's. Very retro experience...he saw them go back to the table and their ladies' - after doing shots and whatever in the bathroom. Really a 20 year old deja vu experience! Funny, that.

Philly Francophiles