• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hi all:

While eating in Spain, how do you differentiate between authentic angulas and imitation ones? I have had angulas at a Spanish restaurant in the U.S., but could not say whether they were authentic or not. I will be visiting Spain in September, and would like to ensure I can try some authentic angulas.

Thanks,

Richard

You have to look at the eyes. If they've got eyes they're are authentic, if they haven't they're not.

But the angulas season is between November and February, so I wouldn't trust any restaurant serving them fresh in September.

Also visit the product devoted restaurants that will serve them at ultraexpensive prices but you'll know that they're real.

Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"

• 1 month later...
Hi all:

While eating in Spain, how do you differentiate between authentic angulas and imitation ones?  I have had angulas at a Spanish restaurant in the U.S., but could not say whether they were authentic or not.  I will be visiting Spain in September, and would like to ensure I can try some authentic angulas.

Thanks,

Richard

another good indicator is price. the imitation angulas will be much cheaper than real elvers.

about the eyes -- i recal reading anarticle somewhere that there are some imitation ones that have the eyes painted on in squid ink. not sure i've ever encountered that though.