• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Duvel

Duvel

11 hours ago, liuzhou said:

As I stressed in the China Fod Myths topic, I have never seen a bamboo basket in a domestic kichen in China or a kitchen supply store in China.

I can only report from the two Chinese locations I have lived in, Taiwan and Hong Kong: in both territories, bamboo steamers are used at the night markets and in (traditional) restaurants for cooking. Some steel-reinforced bamboo, some just plain. Take Din Tai Fung for example, where in the open (well, window-encased) kitchen you can see legions of those being stacked, steamed and then being served.

CCD38B31-A5A8-4DBC-A5DF-86D527FA34EF.thumb.jpeg.07390320921f28b9b7e6d16ed13a5df0.jpeg

As a side note: in both locations kitchen supply stores carry then aplenty as well. That’s where I got most of mine, and with a bit of hygiene so far they do pretty well …

Duvel

Duvel

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

As I stressed in the China Fod Myths topic, I have never seen a bamboo basket in a domestic kichen in China or a kitchen supply store in China.

I can only report from the two Chinese locations I have lived in, Taiwan and Hong Kong: in both territories, bamboo steamers are used at the night markets and in (traditional) restaurants for cooking. Some steel-reinforced bamboo, some just plain. Take Din Tai Fung for example, where in the open (well, window-encased) kitchen you can see legions of those being stacked, steamed and then being served.

CCD38B31-A5A8-4DBC-A5DF-86D527FA34EF.thumb.jpeg.07390320921f28b9b7e6d16ed13a5df0.jpeg

As a side note: in both locations kitchen supply stored carry then aplenty as well. That’s where I got most of mine, and with a bit of hygiene so far they do pretty well …