• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dynasty Buffet, Saddle Brook

markk

I made a new thread because all of the photos here are specific to Dynasty Buffet and I thought they'd get more visibility separate from the generic Asian Buffet thread. These are all available-light photos, btw.

As I had said on that thread to the people who mentioned Dynasty, it's long been one of our favorites, specifically because they frequently have "Blue Crabs" which they do in the 'ginger-scallion' style, as well as a very excellent Peking Duck, and an always present leafy-green Chinese vegetable, all just as good as you'd get ordering a la carte somewhere in Chinatown, actually.

I cannot figure out where the crabs are in season now that they get them from - I know they come in alive because they tell me that (and recoil in proper horror at the idea that they might not be alive when they get them), on top of which their taste and texture and meaty firmness tells me they're alive. But where they've been coming from for the last 2 months is a mystery to me!

gallery_11181_4561_12931.jpg

gallery_11181_4561_35447.jpg

And these are meaty, succulent little monsters!...

gallery_11181_4561_112204.jpg

These shots were hard to get. Everytime we broke into especially meaty crabs, our hands were way too gooey to take out the camera. So after we washed our hands, we felt we hadn't gotten crabs as meaty as before, but close enough. Superb specimens indeed.

And the aforementioned duck, with which they're certainly not stingy:

gallery_11181_4561_72309.jpg

gallery_11181_4561_998.jpg

(when they understand me, they're happy to give me the whole leg, and sometimes the'll give me the entire neck - sorry, no photos of it)

gallery_11181_4561_100983.jpg

And rounding out for me what is the ideal Chinese (Cantonese) meal, leafy green vegetables:

gallery_11181_4561_48423.jpg

(They usually have Mustard Greens, but I would say that tonight was Shanghai Bok Choy)

gallery_11181_4561_149114.jpg

(I would say they ran out of the bok choy, and it looks to me that they substituted regular old Spinach, though please correct me, anybody.)

Another dish that they make quite well is the Seafood Mai Fun

gallery_11181_4561_38097.jpg

Another excellent offering, though I don't have a photo, is their salt and pepper (crispy) Calamari.

For dessert, they have the usual garbage cakes, soft serve ice cream, and jello cubes, but they also have.... chocolate and butterscotch sauces in Squeeze Bottles!...

gallery_11181_4561_222090.jpg

Add a Beignet, and you have:

gallery_11181_4561_200643.jpg

And now, the exterior - you'll have to disregard the vehicle that decided to park there (to eat, I assure you) just before we took the photo:

gallery_11181_4561_58613.jpg

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's