• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sumile

Joseph Fenush

Kind of surprised theres never been a topic specifically about this place... Nevertheless by request heres a recap of my Sumile experience.

Walked in about 5:45 on a Tuesday afternoon. Sat alone at the sushi bar Very cool that you can see into the kitchen but only in silhouettes through a very unique wall.

Ordered the medium tasting but Im sure I received some extra courses... Ill try and list all in as best order as possible...

Nigiri of hackleback caviar and yuzu

Tofu in miso broth

Kampachi sashimi - spicy

Nantucket Bay Scallop w/ uni tapioca Uni and Nantucket Scallop roe together make for an obviously amazing combination

Oyster with shiso... kumamoto I think

Braised Shrimp w/ horseradish consomme Sweet tender, super fresh shrimp, sweet tomato, chilled consomme broth was perfectly clear with a little fat glistening, tasted very floral with the peppery then earthy bitter finish. Maybe the best thing I ate the entire trip

Spring roll w/ lettuces and eel - great flavor, hard to eat

Grilled Wild Striped Bass w/ potatoes and dashi

King Crab w/ kimchi and hackleback caviar - great kimchi, enough said

Hamachi w/ tonburi creme fraiche

Duck w/ eggplant -

Nigiri: Fluke, Toro, Salmon Belly, Shrimp

Hand roll w/ uni and squid - almost too much uni to handle

Sauternes ice w/ chamomile and lavender - floral overload

Coconut sorbet w/ hazelnut?

Im pretty sure thats missing a couple courses... All were huge and super clean in flavor... Great super fresh ingredients.... Played to all the senses at one point or another...

I started with a great prosecco off the menu, the bartender/server was great with recommending beverage options, a great peach and plum flavored cocktail, quality gruner veltliner and an outstanding sake helped me through the courses. Josh came out and talked with me for a bit between desserts... Very chill, good chat about ingedients, Sauternes, tonburi, fish etc...