• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Bluffing

Rebel Rose

A new study in the UK News says Men 'Pretend To be Wine Buffs To Impress'.

Almost one-in-four men try to impress friends or dates by pretending to be wine buffs, reveals a new survey.

However, most risk being exposed as buffoons according to the poll, which found knowledge of the drink is low despite soaring popularity.

The YouGov poll of 2,396 adults revealed more than two-thirds of people (69 per cent) do not feel they know enough about wine although many attempting to disguise their ignorance by pretending to be experts.

So, do tell. Have you ever tried to bluff your way to connoisseurship? Did you bluff or bomb? :laugh:

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

we wer at a smith & wolensky wine thing in Chicago a few years ago and our good friend and guest (who is south african) tried to convince the visiting (US) experts he was a wine grower from SA. I would say bombed big time - but the tall tails were entertaining (or was that the excellent free flowing wines).

Edited by piedmont_phil (log)

Phil

visit our vineyard in Italy - Vecchio Podere Santa Cristiana

Since I've been married for a long, long time (and hope to be for a long time more) I haven't had to try impress a woman with my "wine knowledge". However, back in the years when I was dating (we're talking the 70s here folks) I found it much better to pull the "ask the sommelier what do you think of this one," and get the "excellent choice" in reply. That way I looked both knowledgable and humble.