• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

racheld answered #127 correctly, and I confirmed it a coupla days ago...

she answered correctly to the clue: 

"DONT be DELICATE!!"

this was anthony quinn in zorba the greek.

congrats, again!

-nk

Thank you, Nicola. I wait until the original poster of a movie clue confirms a correct or incorrect guess in this discussion before congratulating them in the recap.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

136. Jelly Babies, Coke & Scotch

Is that Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood?

Nope.

Another clue for #136: Jelly Babies are British versions of Jelly Beans.

Tim Oliver

Is #138, Live wriggling worm on tea sandwiches........etc...

Paradise

I vaguely remember this from about 10 or so years ago, all the little old ladies out doors eating the sandwiches after the kids(Elijah Woods and Thora Birch ) had dropped the worms while up in the tree??? :huh:

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

A new movie:

A gallon of frozen strawberries.

Tim Oliver

Ok more clues...

132. How about several scenes of pork pies and a glass of sherry before a lit fireplace?

CLUE: These pork pies are gobbled up by an elderly man wearing an elf suit.

The pork pies and sherry were meant for the jolly red fat man in the suit but this one can't enjoy them on account of his, um, lack of digestive system.

The lack of digestive system in the Jolly Red Fat Man makes me think of my son's current favorite movie, Santa Clause 2; when the real Santa has to find a wife, someone makes a "clone" Santa who can't eat/drink so no one realizes Santa is on a field trip. But I can't remember anything about pork pies and sherry in that movie!!

The evening recap:

Please don't assign numbers to your new movie foods...if a movie is solved before it gets put into a recap, I don't give it a number since it's out of play.

Also, we're getting some repeat movies. Try not to use "Cool Hand Luke", "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom", "Fargo", "Moonstruck" and "Dirty Dancing" as they've all been used twice.

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-racheld for solving #127 ("DONT be DELICATE!!!" CLUE: in reference to someone's drinking style CLUE: it is yelled at close range. CLUE: the man (A.Q.) is doin' a Liza-DoLittle, reverse style, on the british gent. a chair is broken, wine is spilled on a clean white shirt. A scarf is a hankerchief is a surrender to the dance) as the film "Zorba the Greek".

WAITING FOR CONFIRMATION:

-Nicola Kountoupes has guessed that #110 is "Friends with Money"

-GordonCooks has guessed that #131 is "Seven"

-caroled has guessed that #138 is "Paradise"

-JeanneCake has guessed that #132 is "Santa Clause 2"

We know:

#110 is not "Big" nor is it "Tuesdays with Morrie"

#127 is not "Birdcage"

#134 is not 'Edward Scissorhands" nor is it "Pleasantville"

#136 is not "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood"

STILL UNSOLVED AND TAUNTING US UNMERCIFULLY:

97. Ahi Tuna, a glass of water

CLUE: toothpaste

CLUE: Christmas cookies, herbal tea

103. A stolen piece of meat - "Meat is meat"

110. "Is it just me, or is this food really small?"

CLUE: This line was spoken towards the end of the movie during a $10,000/person charity dinner for Lou Gehrig's disease that was attended by the entire ensemble of characters.

CLUE: For nearly the entire duration of the movie, one of the characters thought that the charity dinner was to raise funds for Alzheimer's rather than Lou Gehrig's Disease.

CLUE: Also, on two separate instances, another character spoons into a tub of ice cream in front of the fridge and noshes on cookies while working at her desk as a coping mechanism for dealing with her insensitive husband.

123. "you know what a putenesca is? it means naughty girl's pasta."

128. (ordered from the driver's seat. '//' indicates change of speaker):

Two hamburgers, a milkshake and two coffees // What kind of milkshake? // Chocolate // How about some fries? // Why not?

132. How about several scenes of pork pies and a glass of sherry before a lit fireplace?

CLUE: The pork pies and sherry were meant for the jolly red fat man in the suit but this one can't enjoy them on account of his, um, lack of digestive system.

133. A skillet of dogfood, a tiger and a violin.

134. A plate of marshmallow treats, covered in waxed paper, taken to a party.

CLUE: Jelly Babies are British versions of Jelly Beans.

137. A last supper of veal and some almost-fatal oranges.

138. Live wriggling worms in tea sandwiches, froggy tea and red jello on a shovel.

139. A gallon of frozen strawberries.

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

Tim Oliver

Guess for the following:

Robert Zemeckis/Steven Spielberg "I Wanna Hold Your Hand"?

Supposed to be the Beatles' favorite food and drink.

“Cheese has always been a food that both sophisticated and simple humans love.”

M.F.K. Fisher, How to Cook a Wolf (1942)

Is #138, Live wriggling worm on tea sandwiches........etc...

Paradise

I vaguely remember this from about 10 or so years ago, all the little old ladies out doors eating the sandwiches after the kids(Elijah Woods and Thora Birch ) had dropped the worms while up in the tree???  :huh:

Nope, this movie is much younger than that. In fact, it was released last year. The movie also ends with a wedding ceremony that was interrupted with a food fight with garishly colored cakes and desserts.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Ok more clues...

The pork pies and sherry were meant for the jolly red fat man in the suit but this one can't enjoy them on account of his, um, lack of digestive system.

The lack of digestive system in the Jolly Red Fat Man makes me think of my son's current favorite movie, Santa Clause 2; when the real Santa has to find a wife, someone makes a "clone" Santa who can't eat/drink so no one realizes Santa is on a field trip. But I can't remember anything about pork pies and sherry in that movie!!

I shall be more forthright, this movie was just released last year in the UK. It is based on a renowned British author, noted for having his books as the most shoplifted (no he is not J.K. Rowling). Clue giveaway: Death decides to become the jolly fat man because somebody,um, off'd him.

Ok more clues...

I shall be more forthright, this movie was just released last year in the UK. It is based on a renowned British author, noted for having his books as the most shoplifted (no he is not J.K. Rowling). Clue giveaway: Death decides to become the jolly fat man because somebody,um, off'd him.

Well, I'm guessing it's (Terry Pratchett's) The Hogfather, which wasn't really released as a movie, just shown on Sky coming up to Christmas.

Si

Ok more clues...

Well, I'm guessing it's (Terry Pratchett's) The Hogfather, which wasn't really released as a movie, just shown on Sky coming up to Christmas.

Si

Oh, it wasn't a movie? I thought it was. Anyway, you got it Simon!

I think #134 is Peggy Sue got Married??

One for the Martini Girl!!! Good catch---Pleasantville was guessed earlier, with Joan Allen making the treats, but she was a teenager in PSGM, and probably partook of them. Just a little side bit of coincidence.

ah, Rachel, I didn't notice the Pleasantville guess but I did consider it, then thought that Peggy Sue was more your sort of movie; that's the deductive path I took :smile:

A gallon of frozen strawberries was probably the original amount before Capt. Queeg went searching for that elusive last quart.

CLICK    CLICK    CLICK

Hmmm, and yet you didn't name the film. :wink:

Tim Oliver

Guess for the following:

Robert Zemeckis/Steven Spielberg "I Wanna Hold Your Hand"?

Supposed to be the Beatles' favorite food and drink.

Yes, you got it. Coke with a little bit of Scotch and Jelly Babies.

One of my favorite movies. :wub: Wendy Jo Sperber is hilarious in it trying desperately to phone in the answers to Murray the K's "Beatles' Trivia" so she can win tickets to the debut of the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show.

edited for spellling

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

A morning recap:

Some new clues have been added to existing movies.

Please don't assign numbers to your new movie foods...if a movie is solved before it gets put into a recap, I don't give it a number since it's out of play.

Also, we're getting some repeat movies. Try not to use "The Godfather", "Cool Hand Luke", "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom", "Fargo", "Moonstruck" and "Dirty Dancing" as they've all been used twice.

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-waterdogs for solving #136 (Jelly Babies, Coke & Scotch CLUE: Jelly Babies are British versions of Jelly Beans) as the film "I Want to Hold Your Hand".

-petite tête de chou correctly solved #138 (Live wriggling worms in tea sandwiches, froggy tea and red jello on a shovel) as the film "Nanny McPhee".

-Simon_S correctly solved #132 (How about several scenes of pork pies and a glass of sherry before a lit fireplace? CLUE: These pork pies are gobbled up by an elderly man wearing an elf suit. CLUE: The pork pies and sherry were meant for the jolly red fat man in the suit but this one can't enjoy them on account of his, um, lack of digestive system. CLUE: this movie was just released last year in the UK. It is based on a renowned British author, noted for having his books as the most shoplifted (no he is not J.K. Rowling). Clue giveaway: Death decides to become the jolly fat man because somebody,um, off'd him) as the film "The Hogfather".

-insomniac correctly deduced that #134 (A plate of marshmallow treats, covered in waxed paper, taken to a party. CLUE: Joan Allen didn't cook the Rice Krispie Treats) was the film "Peggy Sue Got Married".

WAITING FOR CONFIRMATION:

-Both Nicola Kountoupes and petite tête de chou have guessed that #110 is "Friends with Money"

We know:

#110 is not "Big" nor is it "Tuesdays with Morrie"

STILL UNSOLVED AND TAUNTING US UNMERCIFULLY:

97. Ahi Tuna, a glass of water

CLUE: toothpaste

CLUE: Christmas cookies, herbal tea

103. A stolen piece of meat - "Meat is meat"

110. "Is it just me, or is this food really small?"

CLUE: This line was spoken towards the end of the movie during a $10,000/person charity dinner for Lou Gehrig's disease that was attended by the entire ensemble of characters.

CLUE: For nearly the entire duration of the movie, one of the characters thought that the charity dinner was to raise funds for Alzheimer's rather than Lou Gehrig's Disease.

CLUE: Also, on two separate instances, another character spoons into a tub of ice cream in front of the fridge and noshes on cookies while working at her desk as a coping mechanism for dealing with her insensitive husband.

123. "you know what a putenesca is? it means naughty girl's pasta."

128. (ordered from the driver's seat. '//' indicates change of speaker):

Two hamburgers, a milkshake and two coffees // What kind of milkshake? // Chocolate // How about some fries? // Why not?

133. A skillet of dogfood, a tiger and a violin.

CLUE: Seafood, a shrimp boat, a fancy dinner party with a cliffhanger for after-dinner entertainment.

CLUE: Newspaper-wrapped fish.

139. A gallon of frozen strawberries.

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

edited to add BOLDNESS

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

I'm guessing this is "The Godfather".

Tim Oliver

I'm guessing this is "The Godfather".

And Luca Brazzi sleeps with the fishes.

You're a HAAARRRRD Master, Cap'n Toliver!!! THE CAINE MUTINY, for Heaven's sake!!! I Quantum Leap in places I should take baby steps.