• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Downtown Seattle restaurant recommendation

My wife & I haven't gotten out to many restaurants for a few yrs while raising 3 young kids. Was wondering what you'd recommend downtown. The only parameters are the movie theater we'll be coming fr. is at 7th & Pike so somewhere within walking distance or 5 min. car ride would be great; and we'd like a place w/o stratospheric prices (prices approaching $30 or more per entree are too rich for us).

Thanks for yr thoughts...

My wife & I haven't gotten out to many restaurants for a few yrs while raising 3 young kids.  Was wondering what you'd recommend downtown.  The only parameters are the movie theater we'll be coming fr. is at 7th & Pike so somewhere within walking distance or 5 min. car ride would be great; and we'd like a place w/o stratospheric prices (prices approaching $30 or more per entree are too rich for us).

Thanks for yr thoughts...

give tavolata a try. if this rain stops it is a decent walk over to the theatre which you will need after the rigatoni.

2323 Second Avenue, between Bell and Battery 206.838.8008

went last week and really enjoyed the veal carpaccio and broiled oysters.

The only parameters are the movie theater we'll be coming fr. is at 7th & Pike so somewhere within walking distance or 5 min. car ride would be great;

As jaded as I am coming from the center of the universe, I have to say that downtown Seattle has the greatest concentration of great food places I've ever experienced. Stumble out of the movie house, enter any place and you'll be delighted. I don't know what they smoke, what's in the water or what, but you can't have a bad meal there (and folks, you can here). Trust Tighe, too. Eat well, and post afterwards.

John

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Thanks, John. I checked out those recommendations & was able to get a reservation at Boka. It looks good fr the menu. Will let you know how it goes afterward. Zoe looks fabulous too but they couldn't take us at the reservation time we needed.

I'd already made a reservation at Tulio (where I'd never been), but Boka looked more interesting & so I cancelled the former. If anyone's partial to Tulio let me know.

I like Boka quite a lot (though I'm obligated to mention the disclaimer that Chef Seis has been a good customer for me via Les Cadeaux Gourmets, and I've sold Boka a few yuzu as well).

For me, Boka is essentially smartly re-imagined comfort food. The space is beautiful, though self-consciously over-the-top, more than nodding to L.A. for inspiration. Hiromi and I both felt a bit old there on a Friday night (we are 31 and 33)... I'm not sure what was up with all the 21-22 year olds surrounding us, but we were still quite comfortable.

I haven't been to Tulio yet even though it's been there for ages.

Thanks, John.  I checked out those recommendations & was able to get a reservation at Boka.  It looks good fr the menu.  Will let you know how it goes afterward.  Zoe looks fabulous too but they couldn't take us at the reservation time we needed.

I'd already made a reservation at Tulio (where I'd never been), but Boka looked more interesting & so I cancelled the former.  If anyone's partial to Tulio let me know.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

As someone who works very closely with BOKA, I suggest you ask to be seated in one of the back booths - specifically a table in the 30's...the hostess will know what you mean. Also, it is a good time to go to BOKA. They are working out most of their glitches from their opening period and have just completed a total makeover of both their lunch and dinner menus. Make sure to try one of their signature cocktails, or two, as the bartenders are first rate. Also take advantage of General Manager/Somellier Marc Papineau's wine knowledge to select a nice wine pairing with your menu. Enjoy!

Paul Goodman

Seattle Eats Out