• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[DFW]Bijoux

Qwerty

Just curious if anyone has tried Bijoux yet. Got 5 stars from DMN.

It was quite good -- prix fixe like Lola. they did not quite have their entire act together service-wise, but were extremely accommodating when we asked for variations on dishes. A solid 9 for us on a Dallas scale.

hm$

• 3 weeks later...

I've eaten there twice. Had the tasting menu the first time. Food was very good but the wine list was below par for the quality of the food. Don't recall dishes.

Had my second meal at Bijoux in Dallas not too long ago and was extremely impressed. Food was stellar and the wine list has been substantially upgraded since my last visit.

Every single dish that we had was absolutely top notch. For appetizers, my girlfriend had a hand made pasta with a braised leg of rabbit and wild mushrooms. Really quite good. I had a pork belly with candied carrots and Thia red curry. Absolutely stunning dish. As good as anything I've ever put in my mouth. Just to die for. Nothing I could say would do justice to this dish. It absolutely must be experienced to understand it. The pork belly had been braised, I think, but then it had been roasted or fried on a high heat such that the outside was crispy and light. Very lightly sauced, but just the right counterpoint. My girlfriend's daughter, somewhat unadverterously had a green salad, but it was very nicely done. Lovely dressing of oil and vinegar.

For main courses, I had duck. A pan roasted breast with a "sheppard's pie" of duck confit topped with mashed potatoes on top. Mild chou crout accompanied the magret. My girlfriend had pork two ways -- a pan roasted loin and a braised shank. Nicely done in a cider sauce. The GF's daughter had the star main course -- a simple truffle risotto. Simple rich risotto with shaved black truffle on top. Simple, but wonderful.

Wine list has expanded. Nice, but not great selection. We had a Gislaine Barthod 2002 Chambolle Musigny village. Very nice. Lots of good wines, but very few very, very good wines, especially at mid price points. But certainly nothing to complain about. Now the wine list is much more in line with the quality of the food.

Among the top three or four restaurants in Dallas, I'd wager. And doing well, too. On a Thursday night, we couldn't get in on short notice until 9:45 p.m. But we like to eat late in any event, and it certainly was well worth it.

• 9 months later...

I had a wonderful meal at Bijoux last night. I was in the neighborhood and am leaving Dallas soon so I thought this would be my only chance to try this. After reading many good things here and other places I was drawn in to review the menu.

Because of the price point and the standards that they are trying to acheive I do have a few picky comments. Grades I am giving are against high end restaurants.

I did the 5 course fixe prix menu:

1) Amuse Bouche: dont' remember exact details, but duck on a wonton crisp. Okay but not great.

2) Pork Belly with polenta and english peas. This was a very well executed dish with everything being balanced and well prepared. I even ate all the peas which I normally shove to the side. Well executed but not a wow dish, the previous redition described above sounds better. Overall B/B+

3) Scallops with sun choke puree and almonds, capers, raisins, watercress. This was one of the single best dishes I have had in a long time. Exciting flavors, textures that were very different but all played in harmony. Overall: A+

3) Duck, couscous with wild mushrooms, Duck was excellent tender, medium-rare and tasty. Couscous was gummy and bland although the mushrooms were a little of a tecture teaser. A real letdown after the previous dish. Overall: B-

4) Morbier with quince chutney, honey and baguette. I am not a cheese connoisseur. But it was very nice, only let down was the baguette, was almost like a stale sliver of a bread slice. B

5) Meyer Lemon sorbet and Coconut gelee. More than a typical sorbet course and it was excellent. A+

6) Port Steeped Fig Napolean. This dish tries to achieve greatness, with divergent but balanced textures and flavours, but didnt make it. There was a napolean with one layer of chocolate creme, and other layer of figs with mille feuille (sort of a thick fillo type dough) for the layers. Some chocolate ice creem and a macadamia chocolate cookie. It frustrated me because I couldn't quite tell why the individual parts were good and idea was good but didn't acheive something. Figs sort of get lost in the mix..Maybe something to else (like crystallized ginger - spice, or cherries-tart, or rasberry-acidic) would actually pull it together.

Service:

Very good. Maitre'De and the head waiter (I guess) were poised and profession but engaging. They offered a choice of several tables which was particularily nice since I was buy myself and with no reservation. Other staff were not as poised, but did seem to try hard. Regulars were greeted and exchanged with all.

Ate there a few weks ago. Had the three course PF menu. I was full at the end.

Recommend the pork belly, also the squab. Main course: duck breast and the rabbit choices.

The wine list has a broad selection but the usual high Dallas markups (3.5+ times retail).

• 1 year later...