• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DFW Vietnamese and Thai

HoldtheDonuts

I'm going to be in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area for a couple of days and am looking for recommendations for Vietnamese and Thai restaurants. Here are a few I've heard of - please weigh in with your opinions on these, and any other suggestions!

Vietnam

Thanh Thanh

Phuong

Song Huong

Bistro B

Thai Soon

Sukho Thai

Junsuree

Royal Thai

Bankok City

Also, just to add on to this question.... are there any breakfast places in Dallas that serve healthy-ish food?

Thanks!

Cathy

I unfortunately don't have experience with any of the places you've listed. Royal Thai is pretty popular, though.

Thai seems much more plentiful and widely spread in DFW than Vietnamese places, which seem to be more concentrated in Asian shopping centers and such. Where in Dallas will you be?

I'll be forever in Richard Kilgore's debt for turning me around on Thai and taking me to Thai-riffic, a little mom-n-pop hole in the wall off of 635. If you do a google search for the address, it'll turn up an old e-G thread with an invite link on it and the address is there.

If you go east on Beltline road off of I-75, it turns into Main street and hits Greenville Avenue, where there's a huge concentration of various Asian cuisine restaurants and grocery stores. Among those is Caravelle, which is my go-to for Vietnamese. You may have difficulty getting in if you try going on a Saturday night, however: it's a huge place and is often used for wedding receptions.

There's also Mai's in downtown Dallas, at the corner of Bryan and Fitzhugh (and across from Jimmy's, a neat Italian deli). But it's also in a part of town you may not want to be in after dark.

The terms "healthy" and "breakfast" apparently aren't allowed to be together in Dallas, in my experience. Richard Kilgore can also point you to some good taquerias, not known for their health food of course, but good experience to have in Texas.

Thai-riffic continues to be my favorite Thai restaurant. Over the last three years I have probably eaten there well over 80 times. As a reviewer for the Dallas Morning news once wrote, "Silly name, serious food." If you go, the stuffed chicken wings are a must. Everything on the menu that I have tried has been at least very good.

Bankok City has been around for a long time, and while I have not eaten there yet, it gets good reviews and praise from friends. Thai Soon has been good in the past, but I have not eaten there lately.

Are there any Thai dishes in particular that you are interested in?

Thanks for the advice. I will try to check out Thai-riffic!  I realize now that I will be in Fort Worth one day, so that's why I was interested in Junsuree. Also, they have an interesting vegetarian selection. Have you tried this place? www.junsureethai.com

I have not, but I may make a special trip to try it. Looks very, very good. Thanks for the tip.

• 7 months later...

Stopped in at Pasteur (Vietnamese), Josey at Beltline in Carrollton a couple of nights ago. I had not eaten there in about six months. They continue to change the menu in interesting ways, so I tried a duck vermicelli soup rather than a more typical Pho. Richer stock and more filling than the beef Pho. I will do it again.