• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Going to Guatemala

spyders03

Hello, I am new here to this forum, and am glad I found it. I love Rum and bourbon. More rum though without a doubt. I am going to Guatemala in january for a month and am going to try to buy all the rum that I can while I am there that I can not find here in the states. Anyone been there and know of Rums that I should try to pick up. Thank you for any suggestions, and great forum.

Kyle

It has been discussed often here, but you will want to pick up the 23-year-old Ron Zacapa Centenario, about $25 in Guatemala. Other than Guatemalan rums, I found in duty-free my favorite Barbancourt (Haitian) for just $6 a bottle. Quite a steal. But you will have to pack them carefully in check-in luggage if you plan on bringing back a bunch. I was able to carry my duty-free on the plane out of Guat., handed to me sealed at the gate -- but once we arrived in Miami for our connection we had to put it in our regular luggage. Luckily I only had four bottles.

If I had, as I considered, bought 20 bottles of Barbancourt, I would have been in a bind.