• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Havana Chelsea

grillboy

Well Bux, we toojk your advice and headed to eHavana Chelsea. The place was kinda corded at the counter but not the tables. We ordered two of the cubans especiales with chorizo. It took a while (15-20 minutes) to come out but when they did they were hot (very hot). The chorizo definately added a new interesting flavor to the sandwich but was not too strong a flavor. Had the chance to see a couple of plates coming out of the kitchen. The food looked very fresh and generous portions. I'm sure nina will add more.

I loved the big flat slabs of pickles in the sandwiches, and the sweetness of the jambon. I also liked that although the sandwich was hot, the cheese wasn't a goopy melted mess. Yum. I'd like to try the sandwich at Taza de Oro and compare...

Big sandwich (we couldn't finish a whole one each) and a soda was $8.00 each, which included tax and tip.

I've only eaten plates at Havana Chelsea once. The most I have to say is that the portions are very large, as are the sandwiches Cubano if you get the one with chorizo, and the night we were there, the selection was small. More and more I've been disappointed with inexpensive latino restaurants, unless it's something that can't be cooked at home.

Back to the sandwiches, I've felt they've got good ingredients and they get the balance right, but as I've not had many others in NY lately, it's good to have confirmation. It would actually be nicer to take them out to a park, but I can't think of one that's really close.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Bux - The place around the corner from my office Sergio's on 7th between 24th and 25th makes a mean cuban sandwich. They use fresh cooked pork and make them to order. They put french grain mustard on t he bread which gives the sandwich a unique flavor. It is a bit untraditional for a cuban sandwich but very tasty.

Sergio's is close enough to Havana Chelsea to do a take out comparison some day. Are they open on weekends? Open for dinner? I suppose I'll have to wait for Nina's report on Taza de oro or risk it myself. Do you have a preference between the two or did the chorizo make the difference on this one?

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

More and more I've been disappointed with inexpensive latino restaurants, unless it's something that can't be cooked at home.

As a very broad generalization, I think inexpensive Latino restaurants are - most of the time - doing nothing more or less than home cooking. They are doing it to save their customers the trouble, and also, believe it or not, to offer some real savings based on quantity. Someone who can't afford a leg of pork may still be able to scratch together three or four bucks for a portion of the same with some rice and beans.

Sergio's is close enough to Havana Chelsea to do a take out comparison some day. Are they open on weekends? Open for dinner? I suppose I'll have to wait for Nina's report on Taza de oro or risk it myself. Do you have a preference between the two or did the chorizo make the difference on this one?

I'll try to hit it tomorrow. Who's comin' ?

Just so y'all know Sergios is a pizzeria/deli with just a few stools and a counter to eat at in the pizza side. Not really a sit-down kinda place. I can meet anyone there as it is my usual lunch spot and around the corner from my office. Let me know.

Just felt like throwing in my two cents on this one. I'm a huge fan of Cuban sandwiches (and Cuban food in general), but I've found it hard to find a GREAT rendition of a Cubano outside of the greater Miami area. Havana Chelsea does make a pretty GOOD Cubano, but if it's the best in NYC (which I've heard), then I still have reason to be excited about my annual trips to Florida. Anyway, at Havana Chelsea I'll usually order the aforementioned "special" which adds chorizo, but I find it to be about the standard size for a Cubano (so I'm curious about the "small" size... maybe it's a 1/2?). The other food there is average, but I did have a particularly disappointing experience with a mango shake. It seemed as though there were lots of tiny splinters in the near-flavorless shake. In retrospect, I should've returned it, but I opted not to drink it instead.

I'm anxious to hear about further Cuban dining experiences.

Nina : "sweetness of the jambon"? Not to be obnoxious or anything, but did the French overthrow Castro and take over? In Spanish, it's jamón. It goes particularly well with Fresca. :wink:

I went to Sergio's for lunch today. I didn't have the cuban (too much food) but can say that their cuban sandwich is tradional with two additional variations. They add french grain mustard and serve it on garlic bread. I have had them and they are very tasty, maybe not tradiotnal in a true sense but good. I went for the tuna/swiss on rye instead today.

I went to Tazo de Oro for lunch today, and much to my dismay, they do not have Cuban sandwiches, not today, not ever. I had a dish of mofongo, which was the usual...heavy and not so interesting, but I do enjoy that texture. Next I'll have to have the tripe there - maybe when it's not so hot.

I'm told by a latin colleague of mine that the Cuban sandwich at Havana Central is really good - and despite the yuppy nature of the place, I'm likely to try one, based on his recommendation. Will report.

Ah, yes, good point. Where else do you like the Cuban sandwiches in NYC?

Interestingly enough, just minutes after I posted about how much I enjoy Cuban sandwiches in Florida, I ended up driving to West Palm Beach for the weekend! It's funny how life works like that.

Anyway, I haven't really given enough places in NYC a good try yet, but now that I'm freshly fueled with unfuddled memories of great Cubanos... I'm hitting the streets. Well once it gets a bit cooler, that is. Maybe tomorrow?

Anyone got any nominees and/or favorites to be tried?

Sergio's... Havana Central... ???

I had another Cubano at Havana Chelsea today, but this time I got the regular one, not the "especial," and I liked it much better. Yum. I've heard the Cubano at Havana Central is good, but I haven't had it yet. Too bad you're coming tomorrow, when I already have lunch plans. These places are all just a couple of blocks from my office.