• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freeze-Dried Beer?

cabrales

The August 19, 2002 edition of People contains an article on Purdue University students who have come up with freeze-dried beer, a powder that can be rehydrated into a beverage or used as a seasoning for popcorn and pizza. "Their innovation was incorporating a step called freeze concentration, which removes water before freeze-drying and cuts costs . . ." :hmmm:

Coors (and probably many mass-market producers) used to do something similar. They would brew their beer concentrated to save on shipping costs, and then add water at the destination. I'm not sure if they actually evaporated water out of the brew, or just didn't add as much water during the brewing process. Coors got in trouble because they were advertsing moutain fress Colorado water.

In a sense, malt powder is freeze-dried beer -- without the bitterness of hops.

Freeze dried wine would eliminate corked wines. Of course the idiot who invents this will probably do some market research, learn that wine drinkers are resistant to attempts to eliminate corks and will decide to package his product in a cork sealed bottle to appeal to traditionalists.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.