• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boudin question

HKDave

I want to make some Cajun-style boudin (boudain?) here in Hong Kong this Sunday, which could be an interesting exercise because I've never seen it. But it sounds extremely tasty, and we've got all the ingredients and have made sausage before, so even if we make a mess of it, it'll probably be the finest - and only - hot boudain in all of Asia.

The question is, how do we freeze it? I know it won't be as good as fresh, but it's not quite as simple making sausage here (I have to get casings from Canada, for instance) so we don't do it often. I know that some commercial boudain is sold frozen so it must be possible, but I'm a hesitant because of the combination of warm cooked and uncooked ingredients. So for freezing, do you cook it first, or chill the cooked meat before stuffing or grinding, or just grind it warm/raw like usual and freeze it anyway?

And for reheating from frozen, what's the best way?

Links to cherised and proven boudin recipes are also welcome. I've got a few dozen versions, but there doesn't seem like too much variation: some cook the meat then grind, some grind then cook, some add lots of veg, some not so much.

Thanks kindly.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

It freezes fine. Cook it first. If you freeze the rice raw, it will never cook. Once it cooks, the moisture from the rest of the mixture rehydrates it nicely. I'd freeze in small portions, even as small as each link individually. It does not tolerate rough handling, so it must be completely defrosted before trying to seperate the links. Quality wise, there's not much difference between frozen and fresh if handled properly.

Reheat by steaming. I've had good success with a rice cooker/steamer doing the job.

It's a great item to make, and will keep frozen for quite a while. A couple of months at least. As an additional serving option, you can make individual boudin balls. Using fully cooked boudin, make balls with the casing about 1" or so, cut them apart, roll them in panko and pan fry. It will work with the frozen as well, just defrost completely and spray with a little water so the bread crumbs will stick. I would not freeze them with the bread crumbs on there, however.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

It freezes fine. Cook it first. If you freeze the rice raw, it will never cook.

You mean, cook the rice before making the boudin; or cook the whole boudin before freezing?

Apologies if this is a dumb question. I thought that boudin was always made with cooked rice, but you are talking about freezing raw rice, so I'm confused...

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

You are correct the rice and all other ingredients should be cooked. I was just covering all the bases since I didn't know what recipe you had your hands on. The rice should be cooked before stuffing, no matter the rest of the recipe.

Sorry about the confusion

I would even steam the boudin (no "a" in the word) so that it is completely cooked (including the casings) before freezing. Fist is right; most commercial packaged boudin sold in LA is completely cooked...all you do is heat-and-eat. Personally, I like a 6-to-1 ratio of liver; it needs some liver or it's not really boudin. Another suggestion: divide your ingredients into two or three batches and make a couple of variations...more veggies/green onions/parsley in one batch, hotter in another, etc.

Hey, you're in the part of the world where pork blood is readily available; why not try some red boudin (also called boudin noir, and yes I know that noir=black) for your next adventure? Nobody in my family will use the frozen pork blood sold in tubs at the asian markets here, they all insist on "fresh" pork blood, which requires a little effort to secure. So I haven't had any good red boudin in a long time...

When my husband drives down to south Louisian, he often stocks up on boudin. I just cut the links into strings of three or four, put them in a freezer bag and pop them in the freezer. Never had any problems.

I usually steam them in a skillet in beer, water or chicken broth and then finish them in the oven or on the grill. I never pierce them before cooking and rarely(if I'm gentle) have any problems with tears in the casing.

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

Thanks to all for the info. We made the boudin (and spicy Italian, and Thai) sausage yesterday. For the boudin, we used cooked ingredients (meat, liver and veg cooked in one pot, rice in another), then cooled and coarse-ground the meat mix, then stirred in the rice and seasonings, then stuffed.

Hmmm. Since I haven't had Cajun boudin before, I'm not sure how it's supposed to turn out, but I think we may have somehow emulsified it. After poaching, it's quite mushy-textured, and much livery-er than I thought it would be. Is this right? I had somehow envisioned them as being chunkier and spicier.

Anyway, I've frozen mine without re-cooking them in the casings, we'll see how that works.

Obviously, I need to make my way to Louisiana and try some boudin on their home ground.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

So glad to hear that you made boudin. I myself have never attempted this. I would have to see a pic of the boudin to understand how "mushy-textured" it is. However, boudin is not a firm sausage. It has a soft, almost crumbly texture when cooked. You probably nailed the recipe and, with nothing to compare it to, just didn't realize it. :smile:

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

Sounds like you did ok. Boudin is not firm like a traditional sausage, and does have a 'mushy' texture. Well, really more soft than mushy as it is rice based rather than meat based. We have so many good ones around here that I've never tried to make it myself. Another serving idea - Remove from casing, press into a medium ball and roll in bread crumbs. Deep fry. Dare I say it.....yummo.

Stop Family Violence

Boudin is not a firm sausage. It's the reason for the delicate handling. Mushy may be appropriate, depending on the recipe. The feelings about boudin are like gumbo, everyone has a preference, even within families.

Although I always say that boudin is kind of like sex. Even when it's bad, it's still pretty OK. :wink:

Glad you attempted it. If you ever find yourself in the States, you can order some sent to wherever you are.. Although someone may be able to ship internationally. You'll pay a fortune for shipping, but you would have a benchmark to work from.

• 1 month later...

you can get into some serious arguments around here about liver in boudin. There are passionate supporters on both sides. I'm ok with it, but there is a fine line there and I think the amounts of liver used is the defining taste of the finished product. So I may like Don's, and you might like Rabadoux's but I bet you find that your preference is based a lot on how much liver is in there. Boudin should be not too moist, and not too dry. Equal mix of pork to rice is good, too much rice and you've made it long (cheap). While a long gravy, or gumbo is ok (it's perfectly acceptable if you've unexpected company) too much rice in boudin just means you're streching the pork.

The fall issue of Louisiana Life's cover story is all about boudin. It details the regional differences, and the characteristics that make up a good link. I know you are in Asia, but you can probably get them to send you a copy . this link will bring you to la. life's article reprint request page. The site shows summer as the current issue, but you want the new one, fall 06. It will educate you on boudin, for sure.

But back to the liver issue. You rarely got boudin with NO liver in it years back, then they started with the cholesterol levels and people began making it without liver as to not have to give it up completely. I think it's fine that way, and not quite as rich..so if the liver taste is not for you, you can forgo it completely.

Liver advocates complain that boudin w/out it tastes like dirty rice. I don't know about that cause my dirty rice has liver in it!!

It freezes fine. Cook it first. If you freeze the rice raw, it will never cook. Once it cooks, the moisture from the rest of the mixture rehydrates it nicely. I'd freeze in small portions, even as small as each link individually. It does not tolerate rough handling, so it must be completely defrosted before trying to seperate the links. Quality wise, there's not much difference between frozen and fresh if handled properly.

Reheat by steaming. I've had good success with a rice cooker/steamer doing the job.

It's a great item to make, and will keep frozen for quite a while. A couple of months at least. As an additional serving option, you can make individual boudin balls. Using fully cooked boudin, make balls with the casing about 1" or so, cut them apart, roll them in panko and pan fry. It will work with the frozen as well, just defrost completely and spray with a little water so the bread crumbs will stick. I would not freeze them with the bread crumbs on there, however.

So, you cook (steam, saute, boil?) the boudin and then freeze it? How then do you prepare the frozen links? Does this just apply to the Louisiana style or to French boudin noir as well? Sorry for the probably dumb questions.

So, you cook (steam, saute, boil?) the boudin and then freeze it? How then do you prepare the frozen links? Does this just apply to  the Louisiana style or to French boudin noir as well? Sorry for the probably dumb questions.

I'd say if it's already cooked and frozen, simply thaw completely and then finish on the grill or in the oven. I personally like boudin balls the best, deep fried of course.