• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTNs: Trevor Jones and one pleasant surprise

djsexyb

Trevor Jones NV "Jonesy" Old Tawny Port

I bought this to cook with and it worked fine given the $10 price tag. Chocolat and espresso in color, darker than most tawnys, an intense viscosity. Aromas of roarsted almond and pecan, sweet oak, bitter chocolate, and mocha coffee. Moderate sweetness, flavors of molasses and fig, raisin and black cherry. a little overripe for my taste. There a littel tobacco note here. It was smooth, but short with a little heat and tannin in the finish. this was only ok for my taste.

NOTE: I still had a half bottle or so after cooking with this, so its sitting in this fridge. i tasted it a few days ago. 2-3 weeks after initially opening and it has smoothed out much more, and was much more enjoyable. deffinately good PQR.

2003 3 Blind Moose California Cabernet Sauvignon

ok, i didnt have high expectations for this, but wow was i wrong. despite trying not to like this one just because its another bulk-no distinction wine, i loved it. I decanted it for an hour or so before serving. It was very clear, dark burgundy in color. raspberry, black cherry, jammy aromas up front followed by milk chocolate and sweet american oak. Flavors were the same, but the body was very light and soft, with well-integrated tannins. very smooth, though lacking a little acidity. this finished reletively short.

Despite what might look like a lack luster reivew above it was quite the opposite. all the qualities that would be "negetive" in a lot of wines, like short finish, jammy flavors and light body are exactly the qualites that made this so nice. it made you want to go back and back for more. it was simple and unidimensional, but i would go out and get this!! (someone brought this to my house) and that's saying something. i base my tasting off the "wow" factor, and this deffinately had alot of it. take this review as you want, i liked this. and yes, i am surprised to be saying that.

Edited by djsexyb (log)

Grand Cru Productions

Private High End Dinners and Personal Chef Service

in Chicago, Illinois

For more information email me at:

grandcruproductions@hotmail.com