• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tim Spencer of St. Amant passes

Carolyn Tillie

It was slightly ironic that a day or two ago, I was looking to contact St. Amant which begat this Copyright thread.

From Tim's son:

Dear Friends & Colleagues,

On Tuesday, my father, Tim Spencer, owner and winemaker of St.Amant Winery passed away after a hard-fought two-year battle with Lymphoma. Graveside services will be held Monday, September 18th at 1:00PM at Cherokee Memorial Park in Lodi. Following the brief service a Celebration of Tim’s life will be held at St. Amant Winery. You are all welcome!

My parents founded St. Amant in 1981 with the intent of producing world-class port wines from traditional Douro valley varieties. In 1996 they moved the winery to Lodi and became actively involved in transforming this historic grape growing district into a fine wine producing appellation. My father strived to produce the best possible wines, and loved sharing them with others. He believed strongly in the unlimited potential of Lodi, and thought its best days lie ahead.

Despite his frequent façade that the wine business “sucked,” he loved wine and winemaking. He immensely enjoyed being a part of this industry, and greatly appreciated the tremendous support the Lodi grape and wine community provided over the years.

He was particularly proud this summer when his 2003 Vintage Port was recognized as Best Dessert Wine at the California State Fair. In typical fashion he commented that I doubt many can claim to having the best wine and best cow at the State Fair. In the early 1950’s his dairy cow was awarded Grand Champion at the Fair.

Our family, my mother, sister, and I, are committed to continuing the vision that Tim began 25 years ago. Despite the difficult days, and challenges that lie ahead, we believe that St. Amant will continue to flourish.

Raise a Glass to Tim!

Stuart Spencer

I felt honored to have met and interviewed Tim. While many "old timers" in the business barely fight to hide their weariness for "youngsters" just coming into the wine business, Tim displayed a rare spirit and generosity that touched me deeply. He was a mountain of a man who was well-regarded in the industry as a master of Port wine. I know he consulted to many additional wineries on their ports and sat on a number of panels on the grapes and the production. His insight and knowledge are not the only aspect of this great man that will be missed. His humour and graciousness will be as well.

Cheers to you, Tim Spencer. I raise a glass in respect, regard, and remembrance.