• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

For a Good Time in Chapel Hill...

dimsum

I've just moved to Chapel Hill and already have some guests coming.

I'd like to take them to a great lunch, and show them a few sights to give them a feel for how wonderful the town is. All in 3 hours or so.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

"For a good time in Chapel Hill, call Varmint. Varmint can turn a Dookie into a Tarheel and the Dookie will love it, hehehe ..." :biggrin::biggrin:

Back to your request, I would agree with carpetbagger. Walk up and down Franklin St., even over to Carrboro. Crook's Corner would be a great place for lunch. They're only open for dinner, but open for Sunday Brunch.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Chapel Hill is a great town, hard to disagree. However it's a toughy for finding a good decent lunch inside town, or in the Greater Franklin Street area.

Might I recommend Carrburritos at the top of Franklin St. which bottles Chapel Hill/Carrborro funk in a bottle. Additionally, Foster's on MLK/Airport captures the fancy lad qualities of Chapel Hill. Good sammiches, freshly fired pizzas and a great atmosphere all work in it's favor.

Is Jujube open for lunch? That would also be a very solid option.

The question you probably meant to ask was, where should I take my guests for an afternoon pint of beer? Top of the Hill has the nice views of town, but the more enjoyable place is probably Tyler's in Carrborro or Milltown (both of whom serve a solid pub-friendly yet sufficiently fancy lunch to boot).

William McKinney aka "wcmckinney"

Chapel Hill is a great town, hard to disagree.  However it's a toughy for finding a good decent lunch inside town, or in the Greater Franklin Street area.

Might I recommend Carrburritos at the top of Franklin St. which bottles Chapel Hill/Carrborro funk in a bottle.  Additionally, Foster's on MLK/Airport captures the fancy lad qualities of Chapel Hill.  Good sammiches, freshly fired pizzas and a great atmosphere all work in it's favor.

Is Jujube open for lunch?  That would also be a very solid option.

The question you probably meant to ask was probably, where should I take my guests for an afternoon pint of beer?  Top of the Hill has the nice views of town, but the more enjoyable place is probably Tyler's in Carrborro or Milltown (both of whom serve a solid pub-friendly yet sufficiently fancy lunch too boot).

If I may, we are open for lunch at Jujube. Thanks for the mention.

I also second the Milltown/Tyler's suggestion especially for the suds.

If I may add Sandwhich (yes that's how it's spelled). Very Chapel Hill indeed.

Two outstanding coffee options. For fans of french press, 3 Cups right next door to Sandwhich and for those looking for possibly the finest cappucino anywhere (mind you, I haven't been to Italy, but have been to every domestic city that fancies itself a good coffee town) check Driade. In fact, when I was trying to convince a food geek friend of mine to move here we went there for a cap. I kid you not, I saw tears welling up in his eyes as he saw them made.

Edited by detlefchef (log)

• 3 weeks later...

I think I would go with Carrburritos or Foster's for lunch, possibly Jujube or Lime & Basil if you'd like to do Asian. I would highly suggest Milltown over Tyler's for that afternoon pint but Tyler's has an excellent dinner menu (Milltown's is nice as well). Beer selection at Milltown is excellent and a lazy afternoon can easily turn into a late night there.

I disagree wholeheartedly about the quality of caps at Driade but I do believe it is the best option locally. Actually, it seems a local person at the Daily Grind on UNC's campus went third in the barista regionals so heck, you might even find a better cup there. The nice thing about Driade is the outside seating away from it all and in the woods where as Milltown is very much downtown and people watching.