• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Non-cola sodas as mixers

Ktepi

I could have sworn I had found a thread like this before, but I can't find it now.

We've mentioned grapefruit soda recently, and lemon-lime sodas aren't uncommon (I love bourbon and Sun Drop). Ginger beer's in the Dark and Stormy, of course (and probably in drinks I'm not thinking about).

But you don't hear about root beer much, or even orange soda, or Dr Pepper, or ... etc.

What about all the premium sodas on the market? Or those "dry" sodas someone's selling now (I think they have a lavender, a kumquat ...?)

The Izze sodas you can get at Target are pretty friendly with rum or bourbon, and I'd bet gin would be all right -- nothing's jumped out at me as a spectacular match.

Moxie and Campari doesn't work, no matter that they're two of my favorite beverages.

I really dig Coke Blak with any combination of whiskey, vanilla liqueur, Kahlua, and maraschino. Green Mountain's coffee soda would probably be even better.

Others? With all the playing with infused syrups and whatnot, there's got to be room for Vimto or Mr Pibb. Single-malt Malta? Rums-Up?

I've discovered La Croix flavored, but unsweetened sparkling water. Nice flavors like a berry mix and a good lemon. Might be interesting to experiment with... Probably would need a spice-type addition. Hmmm...

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"