• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Galileo Closing in DC - what does this mean?!

Cucina

Okay - I'm having lunch today in another Italian restaurant and hear that Galileo is closing for renovations as of September 2nd (does this mean Sept 2 is the last day or is that the day it no longer operates????) and that Chef Roberto Donna is moving over to Crystal City until sometime in 2007?????!!!!!

From google searches and looks at other foodie websites, it appears to be true. But this is what I want to know:

I bought a gift certificate for my parents to dine at the Laboratorio complete with wine tasting and tip. What happens if they haven't used it by then?????

Okay - I'm having lunch today in another Italian restaurant and hear that Galileo is closing for renovations as of September 2nd (does this mean Sept 2 is the last day or is that the day it no longer operates????) and that Chef Roberto Donna is moving over to Crystal City until sometime in 2007?????!!!!!

From google searches and looks at other foodie websites, it appears to be true.  But this is what I want to know:

I bought a gift certificate for my parents to dine at the Laboratorio complete with wine tasting and tip.  What happens if they haven't used it by then?????

The building that Galileo is in currently will be gutted to the frame starting in early September. The restaurant is moving to the space where Oyamel was in Crystal City. You'll have to call them about your gift certificate.

Mark

"The restaurant is moving to the space where Oyamel was in Crystal City."

Oyamel WAS? WAS? When did this happen?

We ate at Jaleo within the last month, but we walked past Oyamel and it was full of happy patrons.

Indy 67

"The restaurant is moving to the space where Oyamel was in Crystal City."

Oyamel WAS? WAS? When did this happen?

We ate at Jaleo within the last month, but we walked past Oyamel and it was full of happy patrons.

Indy 67

I just called Oyamel. They are still in place there, but in the near future will be doing dinner only. When specifically asked about these rumors, the person I spoke with replied that "nothing is set in stone." It sounds like there is some basis to the rumors and the future of Oyamel is in doubt. It is not absolutely clear to me, however, whether Oyamel will close, move or even stay where it is. Nevertheless, Mark is much more in tune with the DC restaurant scene inner workings than I am. I just hope that Oyamel stays in business somewhere.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I've heard that the Andres restaurants in Crystal City (Jaleo and Oyamel) haven't been as successful as hoped when they first opened.

I don't have an outstanding Galileo gift certificate, but I think Galileo closing and remodeling is a good thing for the restaurant. The interior was starting to look a little dated. I hope the Laboratorio is a part of the new Galileo, though--the white truffle dinner I had there on my birthday many many years ago still stands out in my heart as one of the best meals I ever had.

I think the last lab is this weekend. I do not believe that the resturant will close on the second. I was told that the grill would also be open next week. Intresting how does a resturant close down? In Donna's case, can he pack all his stuff, food, and wine and go across the river? I imagine that the liquor may not be able to close state lines. What about everything else?

• 1 month later...

" I just called Oyamel. They are still in place there, but in the near future will be doing dinner only. When specifically asked about these rumors, the person I spoke with replied that "nothing is set in stone." It sounds like there is some basis to the rumors and the future of Oyamel is in doubt."

Some time between when this message was originally posted in late August and today, Oyamel closed.

My husband and I had planned to go there for dinner; however, someone in his office gave him the news and suggested it was time to go to plan B.

I don't know any more details than what I've shared. If anyone else knows anything, I'd love to hear.

We will definitely miss Oyamel.

Indy 67

Oyamel has closed and is replaced by Bebo Trattoria - Roberto Donna's "temporary" home while Galileo is being renovated. Bebo opened to the public last night.

My understanding is that Oyamel is going to be reopening in the space vacated by the recently closed Andale in Penn Quarter near the original Jaleo.

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

Oyamel has closed and is replaced by Bebo Trattoria - Roberto Donna's "temporary" home while Galileo is being renovated.  Bebo opened to the public last night.

My understanding is that Oyamel is going to be reopening in the space vacated by the recently closed Andale in Penn Quarter near the original Jaleo.

You may be right, but you or anyone here can ask Jose andres himself in his eG Spotlight Discussion going on now. you better hurry though, as it closes sometime tomorrow. :wink:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz