• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bondi Road

Eatmywords

Bondi Road

153 Rivington

212-253-5311

Went here last wk with some friends. For a limited time they're serving a 7 course tasting for $25 (the only option). Yes, I just said t-w-e-n-t-y f-i-v-e d-o-l-l-a-r-s!!! This is due to the kitchen not being complete (They're awaiting gas and using hot plates to cook everything).

For the qlty, it's a major deal. The cuisine I guess "light Aussie" though I thought it resembled a twist of classic and nuveau American if anything. All done simply but with care and precision. I can't remember too many specifics as our host made some stiff c-tails before we left and well, I was pretty hammered but here's what we had:

Oyster shooter - in a citrus tabasco sc

Shrimp cocktail - in a lt herb mayo sc (I thought there were other shell fish too like crab and/or lobster) (again, I was a little sauced)

Summer crab wrap - think it was like a crab cake, sorry, can't remember but it was good

Barramundi - over green papaya & bush tomato - very good

Tasmanian Ocean Trout over sweet chili relish - also very good

New Zealand Blue Nose over cucumber, spanish onion & radish - good but onions overpowered a bit.

Desert : mom's pavlova and Lamingtons (don't remember mom's but the Lam was some sort of cake over mirange, very good)

I wish I could give more detail other than "good or very good" but as I noted I was slightly impaired. The staff is very friendly, timing btwn courses was perfect and the place is pretty hip to match the hood. Music may be a little loud for some but it's worth the inconvenience. We had a really nice experience and w/def return.

Hope to hear what others think.

Edited by Eatmywords (log)

That wasn't chicken

It seems to be taking them a long time to get the gas hooked up, as I stopped by a few weeks ago - at that time, they were only doing f & f and awaiting the hook up.

Oh, that's too bad. Didn't know they were open that long. I hope they work it out soon. The staff is so friendly.

I would take advantage of this deal while it lasts though....

That wasn't chicken

I was EatMyWords' host and thus was responsible for his (considerable) inebriation. Its amazing what experimenting with Aviations and my as yet unnamed concotion (white rum, cointreau, pineapple juice) will do to the senses but....

my memories of the first couple apps were quite good....I don't recall the fish courses after the barramundi, they all seemed to taste the same but that might just be due to the booze....

anyway, I have to second that it was a terrific deal (no doubt even better when sober) and that the food was much better than at the Sunburnt Cow (owned by the same guy I think).

Does the community board have to approve having their gas turned on?

That's a good question - I didn't think so...Con Ed is doing so much work below Delancey that maybe they just don't have the time!!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I asked about their gas at dinner tonight. Apparently it was turned on Monday night but they're still serving the $25 seven course menu. It's the only option. Cocktails are $7 - $8. Four drinks, fourteen courses, tax and tip, $100 and definitely worth it. They were having air conditioning issues - we sat outside tonight - but that could explain not turning the ovens on yet. I took photos and I'll post a review tomorrow.

• 4 weeks later...
I asked about their gas at dinner tonight. Apparently it was turned on Monday night but they're still serving the $25 seven course menu. It's the only option. Cocktails are $7 - $8. Four drinks, fourteen courses, tax and tip, $100 and definitely worth it. They were having air conditioning issues - we sat outside tonight - but that could explain not turning the ovens on yet. I took photos and I'll post a review tomorrow.

I would still love to read your review. :smile:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Dinner a couple of Tuesdays ago with my husband and two teen-aged kids. It was the end to a fairly long day of touring, so we were fairly early, probably about 6:00. Only a couple of other tables occupied when we arrived, and the staff was clearly adjusting to the new menu format: you pick the fish you'd like, and then add sides (one side being included the price of the fish).

The owner stopped by to chat several times during the meal, and we pointed out a couple of issue that he already knew about, including extremely wobbly tables (exacerbated if you're sitting at the high bar tables along the banquette) and the lack of a foot rest for patrons sitting on the banquette, such that eventually the circulation to your feet is compromised (as reported by both of the kids). Apparently they've just had a new (bright yellow) floor installed and are still making some finishing touches to other physical aspects of the space.

I asked about the tasting menu when we first arrived, and it is still available, and is essentially the same as described in Eatmywords' original post except that it's now $35 and is served in three courses: three starters, three small servings of fish (varies as to availability) with three small sides, and dessert. We got two tasting menus to share among the four of us (which the server actually suggested was a possibility) and rounded out the meal with an extra fish main course accompanied by potato salad.

Overall nice for a neighborhood sort of place. Fish very nicely done, though I found some of the sides on the tasting menu difficult to distinguish. The pavlova's meringue had wilted in the humidity.

Were I to return I'd probably skip the tasting menu and go for the new menu format. It was very busy by the time we left, about 8:00.

Can you pee in the ocean?

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Bondi Road twice in the last few days.

Saturday night, with a couple of guys (one of them eGullet guy Nathan). We got there at 9 (actually I got there at about a quarter of), were told there'd be a wait till 9:30, and were seated at about 9:20. The place was a zoo. Crowded, noisy, etc. My younger dining companions didn't mind it, but I find that kind of scene a little hard to take. There were a few service glitches (as you could tell there'd be in a place that crowded), but the staff was friendly and everything ultimately went fine. The food is above-average, although not anywhere near the exalted superneighborhoodplace standards of a place like Little Owl. The fish is all swimmingly fresh-seeming despite having been flown in from the Antipodes, there are a few interesting varieties, and their frying is very clean. The prawns & garlic hotpot and the bloody oyster shooter are both strong appetizers.

But I'm mainly writing this to report on my second visit, last (Monday) night. My date and I lost track of time at Milk & Honey, and wandered into Bondi Road, without realizing how late it was, at a couple of minutes to eleven. A guy who was either a server or a floor manager told us the kitchen was about to close (the bar stays open till late), but the owner immediately walked over and said he refused to turn people away and invited us to stay for supper. The bartender then recognized me from two nights before and sent over a pair of complimentary tequila shot cocktails (which were lethal, in that you could hardly even taste the alcohol). In other words, the people here are VERY NICE.

Also, when the place isn't jampacked, it's very pleasant (although therese is right about the comfort issues with the seats).

This is definitely not a destination restaurant of any sort, but it's much better than a place that is essentially a crowded bar that sells food has any need to be. So they get points for caring enough to put in the effort to be better than is required. I wouldn't tell you to travel to go there, but if you're there and not in the mood for Schiller's, it's a great alternative.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)