• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Raw foods restaurants in NJ?

Rebecca263

We were meandering around New Jersey a few months ago, and I thought that I saw a place, but now we can not locate any such restaurant! Does anyone here on eGullet know of a place, within an hour or two of the Freehold area? Kiddle wants to try some 'fancy' raw food.

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

There's a place that was at Taste of the Nation a few months back -- its called The Energy Bar and its in Montclair.

http://www.kheperfoods.com/energybar.html

Its not high end though, its primarily wraps and salads.

http://www.kheperfoods.com/Menu.doc

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Well, they will probably have fruit "pies" at least. Kiddle is wanting raviolis and other raw specialties. I'm going to keep trying for that, but this place is a good start, and we haven't been in Montclair as yet! Thanks!!!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

The raw foods movement is a type of veganism, no dairy or animal for sure, but also nothing heated above 118F and no grains, as far as I can tell. Spelt seems to be used though. Seeds and nuts are usually used in place of grains. Milks are made from nuts, fruits and avocadoes, as are cheeses. The premise is that raw foods are high in enzymes that give us better nutrition, but mostly kiddle is thinking that the food is intriguing and delicious.

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

The premise is that raw foods are high in enzymes that give us better nutrition, but mostly kiddle is thinking that the food is intriguing and delicious.

Of course what they fail to address is that all those precious "enzymes" they go through such lenths to preserve are digested and destroyed in the stomach in 5 or 10 minutes.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

The raw foods movement is a type of veganism, no dairy or animal for sure, but also nothing heated above 118F and no grains, as far as I can tell. Spelt seems to be used though. Seeds and nuts are usually used in place of grains. Milks are made from nuts, fruits and avocadoes, as are cheeses. The premise is that raw foods are high in enzymes that give us better nutrition, but mostly kiddle is thinking that the food is intriguing and delicious.

Sounds great. Mmmm.... spelt.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

• 3 weeks later...

I'm clear on vegetarian and vegan, but this raw food thing confuses me. This menu mentions veggie chicken and turkey, which I assume is some kinda vegetarian "alternative," but it also lists grilled chicken and grilled salmon -- without the "veggie" part.

Is this just sloppy menu writing, that they left out the "veggie" label (ie., that it is assumed by default that any chicken or salmon is faux?) And since they are listed as grilled, are they grilled only until the internal temperature reaches 118F?

• 1 month later...

Down To Earth in Red Bank is a GREAT vegan restaurant with a selection of raw foods on their menu. (7 Broad St. 732-747-4542)

By the way, I recently posted a list of my favorite restaurants in Monmouth County (Red Bank is covered but I'm still working on Freehold) on my website/blog dedicated to affordable gourmet food, www.mcfoodie.com. Please check it out and post or email me any comments, feedback, additional restaurants/resources or other suggestions. The website is very new and this is just a hobby so please be kind. :)

And, if you're not going completely raw, Down To Earth has a fabulous chocolate cake. I also really love their basement environment, very 70's!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Try East Coast Vegan in Toms River.

Not trying to bump my previous recommendation, however, I had lunch at East Coast Vegan again the other day and I am completely amazed at the owner/chef's ability to create the flavors and textures from raw vegan foods. I tried an item from his new fall menu - a peking spring roll which was just fabulous along with a green super smoothy (which I believe is ECV's top seller). I understand that outside of NYC there doesn't exist any other completely raw vegan restaurant in the area. They are open Monday through Saturday 10AM to 7 PM. I also understand that they have started a Saturday Brunch with mock bagels and lox and other assorted items. Please let me know if you try it.

Edited by bgut1 (log)

I won't be going to ECV, but I am sending my daughter in the next month or so, with a friend who has begged me to allow her to spoil my child at least once. That was the place we had driven by originally, and could never find again!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

I won't be going to ECV, but I am sending my daughter in the next month or so, with a friend who has begged me to allow her to spoil my child at least once. That was the place we had driven by originally, and could never find again!

Rebecca - The restaurant is right off of Exit 81 off the GSP on Water Street. I hope your daughter enjoys the place and brings you something home. Please let me know if I can give you anymore information on the place.