• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: Montesel and J Winery

djsexyb

had a little get together to celebrate graduating from culinary school...popped a few bottles of bubbly...

NV Montesel Prosecco di Conegliano Valdobbiadene Vigna del Paradiso

Very clear, white peach color, very uniform bubbles rising from the very center of the glass. the nose had faint hints of white peach and almond. it seems closed when first poured and it takes a while for very faint honey and pear notes to appear. This prosecco is very dry, very well integrated on the tongue, with good acid backbone, white peach, and almond flavors. a waxy taste appears on the finish which is pleasent. Very Crisp and refreshing. short to medium length finish, with a very faint bitterness on the end. Overall, very nice. this is a refined, elegant, well integrated prosecco that i would buy again and choose over a gold label Cliquot 9 out of 10 times, especially at half the price. Note: the lip of this bottle was huge and wide making for a hard, dripping pour...wierd.

1997 J Winery Brut

My folks received this 4 years ago when they bought their new house and brought this. It was not stored well, the cork was shrunken. I was looking forward to this, but it disappointed because it was partially flat. still some bubbles, but minimal. The cuvee was very clear with a golden hue. Ripe peach, apricot, and honeysuckle aromas dominated with a slight yeast at the end. Very dry. There was a heavy petillance on the tongue despite the lack of bubbles, folowed by peach, yeast and honey. Vey good acidity. faded quick. acid lingers along with a flinty almost mineral aftertaste. Conclusion: bad bottle, but this would have been VERY nice had it been properly stored...i wish i had another bottle. Note: Good paired with cold fried chicken.

Grand Cru Productions

Private High End Dinners and Personal Chef Service

in Chicago, Illinois

For more information email me at:

grandcruproductions@hotmail.com