• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

L'Aire du Rossignol, Cotes de Provence

webhill

Hello!

I apologize for my lengthy absence - the nifty login thingy tells me I last posted in September 2005. Oops. I guess I got really really busy. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone (Katie?) could describe for me, in understandable terms, the L'Aire du Rossignol Cotes de Provence 2005 which is currently available in the PA State Stores. You probably do not remember that I was on a seemingly impossible mission last year to find some decent rose wines in the state stores.... there is a vastly increased selection this year! My husband and I were sent to the state store by my mother this past Sunday (Sunday! woo hoo!) to pick up some chardonnay for her and while we were there we picked up some of the Fireblock dry rose 2005 (Australian) that my husband likes, and this LAire du Rossignol, just to try. So we opened it the other day and my husband said "wow, that's a bad wine." He can't explain to me what he thinks is so terrible about it. Thoughts?

Maybe the bottle was corked?

Heck its a Rose, its meant to be light, crisp, and full of bright fruit aromas and flavors. Its not a wine to ponder, just a great quaff.

Just my $.02

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover

Maybe the bottle was corked?

Heck its a Rose, its meant to be light, crisp, and full of bright fruit aromas and flavors. Its not a wine to ponder, just a great quaff.

Just my $.02

Phil

We had a bottle of this over the weekend with some Bahamian steamed fish. As advertised, it was light with enough acid to balance the pronounced fruit. It had a floral, strawberry aroma.

Nothing exceptional or complex, it went very well with the fish which was a spicy preparation. I certainly didn't find anything about it that I would classify as bad. In fact, at $12.99, I will probably buy more.

For what it's worth, I think that it may have had a plastic "cork" but my mind is muddled on that matter. That may have been a different wine.

• 2 weeks later...

We opened another bottle of the L'Aire du Rossignol today. Awful! Not corked, I think, but maybe cooked. Almost no nose at all, no fruit and a very bitter finish that stays with you.

We've had three bottles that were very good but this last one was bad news. All bottles were from the same case so cooked seems unlikely but I can't really say just what's wrong. It was just bad. :wacko::sad:

• 1 month later...

To be fair with this wine, there has only been the one bad bottle in the case so far. We have gone through nine or ten bottles and encountered just the one stinker. The rest have been fine: Nothing outstanding; just light and fruity as expected.