• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tapas 24

pedro

An interesting trend is developing in Barcelona. Two upscale and creative chefs, Carles Abellán from Comerç 24 and Albert Adrià from elBulli have opened recently two tapas bars, Tapas 24 and Inopia respectively. These tapas are tapas de toda la vida, that is, the common fare you could find in tascas all over the country: ensaladilla rusa, the cold salad of potatoes, carrots, peas, canned tuna and other vegs dressed with mayo; croquetas de jamón; pinchos morunos; tripe. All this in a city where tapas are a recent and imported habit.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to have an early dinner --around 20:30, mind you-- at Tapas 24. Good quality, wines by the glass including Billecart Salmon brut, Abellán appeared around nine. It seems a good place to sample classic tapas --I had a terrific time yesterday-- and have an informal meal.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

Commerc 24 had been getting pretty bad rap in town for being so overpriced and not worth it--deservedly so--hopefully Abellan can redeem his reputation a bit with the new place.

Were people talking about futbol Pero when you went? After voting for independance, wonder if Catalans are rooting for the national team, given how many Barca player are on it. I know I know...not food related but couldn't helpt it. GO SPAIN!!! They've been looking so damn amazing so far.

• 3 weeks later...
Well, at least they're from lamb and not pork. Pinchos Alhucemas is the name they use at Tapas 24.

Now that I no longer live in Spain, I miss pinchos morunos. Can you tell me how to make them at home? !Gracias!

Well, at least they're from lamb and not pork. Pinchos Alhucemas is the name they use at Tapas 24.

Now that I no longer live in Spain, I miss pinchos morunos. Can you tell me how to make them at home? !Gracias!

This should be asked on the cooking forum or in the Middle East & Africa forum, but...

Find a moroquian shop, buy the specially mixed spices for pinchos, buy a minced lamb leg and marinate it with the spices, onion and lemon for three days. Roast over a charcoal grill.

But if you want the fake version of what they sell as pinchos morunos on the spanish bars. Do it with pork chunks and paprika. Not my cup of tea if you ask.

Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"

This should be asked on the cooking forum or in the Middle East & Africa forum, but...

Find a moroquian shop, buy the specially mixed spices for pinchos, buy a minced lamb leg and marinate it with the spices, onion and lemon for three days. Roast over a charcoal grill.

But if you want the fake version of what they sell as pinchos morunos on the spanish bars. Do it with pork chunks and paprika. Not my cup of tea if you ask.

Thank you! Do you know what is included in the spice mixture? There are no Moroccan shops where I live.

This is basically a curry = a mix of spices. As with all curries, there's a zillion variations. Here's one recipe for the marinade (for about 2.2 lbs diced fat lamb meat) I've found: two garlic cloves, minced; one tspn finely minced onion; 1 tspn minced fresh cilantro; one sliver fresh ginger, minced; 1/2 tspn ground cumin; 1/2 tspn ground thyme; 1/2 tspn ground oregano; 1/2 tspn ground cayenne pepper; 2 tspns freshly ground black pepper; 1 ground clove; a very small amount of ground nutmeg (no more than the tip of a knife); mix all into some extra virgin olive oil to provid a liquid marinade.

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino

This is basically a curry = a mix of spices. As with all curries, there's a zillion variations. Here's one recipe for the marinade (for about 2.2 lbs diced fat lamb meat) I've found: two garlic cloves, minced; one tspn finely minced onion; 1 tspn minced fresh cilantro; one sliver fresh ginger, minced; 1/2 tspn ground cumin; 1/2 tspn ground thyme; 1/2 tspn ground oregano; 1/2 tspn ground cayenne pepper; 2 tspns freshly ground black pepper; 1 ground clove; a very small amount of ground nutmeg (no more than the tip of a knife); mix all into some extra virgin olive oil to provid a liquid marinade.

¡Muuuuchas gracias!

My favorite place for pinchos morunos in Madrid used to be an outdoor place on Plaza Sta. Ana (north side of the plaza). The marinade had a distinctly yellow color. Do you think they might have used turmeric?