• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

FTVC Superstar Chef Challenge

Pam R

Click for Food TV Canada's Superstar Challenge .

Host: Kevin Brauch

Judges: Christine Cushing, Michael Smith and Dominic Cyriax (a director)

Contestants: (the link isn't working for me)

First of all - its seems like a lot of work for 1 hour of TV.

Second - I haven't seen the winner (Dana) from last year, since last year's show.

According to this FTVC page, Dana is on a new show, Just One Bite. She's cooking with kids.

Anyhow, anybody planning on watching?

I just can't do it.

The promos are so painful I can't even imagine how bad the show is.

And Just One Bite makes Chef At Home look like Masterpiece Theatre.

Food Network Canada is becoming unwatchable.

I watched the challenge last year - and I actually liked Dana. As I've said elsewhere, I rarely tune into FTV anymore - but I didn't even know Dana was on a new show.

If they're going to all of this trouble to find somebody new, shouldn't they put them to better use? A few minute slot on a show is ridiculous. Isn't she a superstar? Doesn't a superstar deserve her own show?

OK. I'm done for now.

So the public scrutiny begins. I am one of the contestants from this year and yes it was a lot of work for a 1 hour (4o mins) show. I signed away my "likeness for perpetuity throughout the universe" and have handed the care of my ego over to the editing crew.

For the link to contestants, you click on the photos to open up the bios.

There are some errors on the bio pages. For the record, I have never claimed to be a trained pastry chef, I am proud of my DIY status. Also, I stated my fave food to be rice and am no longer living in my sweet little trailer. I live in the big house in the trailer park thank you very much. And I pursue my pleasures in many forms other than chocolate.

So I will be watching, with the support of endless Moet and the laughter of friends. I just haven't decided whether to wear my afro wig or tiara. Maybe both.

Jenna Dashney

FRESH BUTTER HERE

So the public scrutiny begins.  I am one of the contestants from this year and yes it was a lot of work for a 1 hour (4o mins) show.  I signed away my "likeness for perpetuity throughout the universe" and have handed the care of my ego over to the editing crew.

<snip>

So I will be watching, with the support of endless Moet and the laughter of friends.  I just haven't decided whether to wear my afro wig or tiara.  Maybe both.

Hi Jenna - thanks for posting! Yes the public scrutiny has begun - all Canadian eyes are on you.

I'll be watching too - and I hope you return to this thread and share more with us after it airs.

So - do you have the ear of anybody over at FTVC? I don't know if you've seen this thread on the Insider program, but we've been discussing the network over there.

Good luck! (though I assume the winner has been chosen)

Good luck! (though I assume the winner has been chosen)

Thanks! The show was filmed in Toronto in February so we have known the

winnner for months. I look forward to discussing/defending/debating about the show and the FNC after it airs. For now we are signed up for silence regarding the results but the Network did release this info:

"During the one-hour special, finalists endure several rounds of competition, including an on camera audition, a culinary obstacle course, creating a high end restaurant style dish using only ingredients found in a convenience store and designing a cookbook cover as a self promotion."

Edited by butterchik (log)

Jenna Dashney

FRESH BUTTER HERE

I don't think I can watch since I'm in the U.S., but maybe I'll be able to see re-runs in September when we're in Vancouver.

It's amazing to me that there's only one woman! Go Jenna! Kick the guy's asses!

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Host: Kevin Brauch

Judges: Christine Cushing, Michael Smith and Dominic Cyriax (a director)

Second - I haven't seen the winner (Dana) from last year, since last year's show.

According to this FTVC page, Dana is on a new show, Just One Bite. She's cooking with kids.

Am I mistaken or wasn't it the two guys who won last year... they got a show on throwing parties or something of the like...

I caught Dana on Just One Bite, and good for her. On the other hand, the host of the show isn't very good at keeping things flowing, there seems to be many akward moments on the show... I'd rather watch Chef at Home too...

Do you guys think that this competition is going to be a yearly event?

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

they have a Designer Challenge and a Superstar Handyman Challenge that are all made into longer series. 

Do you think there's any chance of them making this into a longer series? That's part of my comment about a lot of work for just one 1-hour show.

I think it would be more interesting if it was a series that the viewer could get involved in. It would also let the contestants show more of their 'stuff'.

A Canadian Cooking Under Fire. If it was done well, that's a show I'd watch. Of course it should result in a new show for the winning contestant, not a spot in a restaurant.

And it's over.

The winner is Anthony Sedlak from North Vancouver.

Broken record here - but why isn't this given more than 40 minutes? It's hard to really get a feel for any of the contestants.

Jenna - are you happy you went through this? I thought you did a great job. I hope you'll pipe in here with some behind-the-scenes info.

And is sexy fish?

I think so - it is a formula that seems to serve Alliance Atlantis well - they have a Designer Challenge and a Superstar Handyman Challenge that are all made into longer series.  The fact that entrants apply makes it an easy casting call for new talent.

This year there were 500 contestants for Superstar Chef who filmed a 5 minute entry. I think filming in my trailer made me stand out.  I was surprised to be the only female but after 16 years in kitchens I am used to those odds (and kinda like them).

You were the ONLY woman who applied out of 500 applicants? That's crazy. And you were one of the final five! Good for you!!!! I missed the show last night, but knowing FTV, I'm sure it'll be on 5 or 6 times this week. :wink:

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

You were the ONLY woman who applied out of 500 applicants? That's crazy. And you were one of the final five! Good for you!!!! I missed the show last night, but knowing FTV, I'm sure it'll be on 5 or 6 times this week.  :wink:

I was the only female finalist . They said the entries were an equal m/f split and there were other females on the shortlist, but it came down to myself and those 5 guys.

There was so much more that went on in the six days that we were filming, the show strikes me as the Cliff Notes of the experience - just long enough to cover the main battles, the characters (caricatures) and the outcome.

I am so glad I got off my hungover ass that fine December morning to make an entry. I learned a lot throughout the filming of the show and got to use my butterchik name on screen, never a bad thing. Cooking well is one thing, but keeping up the chatter, the smile, looking in the right lens and being timely is a whole other skill set. The camera doesn't faze me now and I'll be working it again this week on Victoria's A-channel morning show on wednesday 8:10 or so cooking for the Smokin' Tuna Cafe.

Time to shake these bubbles from my brain and walk my nagging wagging dog - the only reason I am up so early. More questions/comments/critics?

Jenna Dashney

FRESH BUTTER HERE

(several dog walks, cat naps, cafe shifts and live tv appearances later...)

Looks like the FN is airing "Superstar Challenge" again this Saturday 4 pm ET. I have yet to watch the show in a sober, quiet environment so haven't reflected on it too much. I find the format really hard to take - they really are cramming too much into the 40 minutes. I agree with Pam R. that you don't get a sense of the participants except for Ryan who they played up as the man you love to hate.

As far as surrendering my "likeness, voice and identity in perpetuity" I think I was fairly represented. I am getting a lot of comments about the number of gratuitous booty shots I got on screen (girlfriends notice that kind of thing). with my trailer park living scenario and the fact that I got my fishnet freak on I was prepared for the worst kind of portrait.

I remember watching Anthony in the final challenge and finding fault with his technique and terminology but when they did the "reveal" of the winner (no sound) his energy came across on the screen and it made sense. I found it hard to be truly butterchik in the corporate challenge environment. However, I have no problems tapping into "it" here at home and have been filming in the Gourmet Ghetto all week and will have some clips online next week.

I am still amazed at all the work that went in to a 40 minute show when FN needs CCon - that said, appearing once in the reality format is enough for me.

Favorite challenge - the convenience store. I would love to throw a dinner party based on the idea of procuring the ingredients from a 7-11. On an unrelated note, I have been playing with a menu for a hot tub/sous-vide cooking party - anyone done it?

Jenna Dashney

FRESH BUTTER HERE

Thanks for you posts Jenna. I know from doing some TV and radio, that I sound like a completely different person from who I think I really am. I seem to go into 'tv mode' no matter what I do to avoid it.

I don't really have an opinion of Anthony. Honestly, he didn't annoy me or impress me. But again, the time issue could be at fault here. I guess we'll have to wait and see what they do with him at FTVC.

BTW - I really liked your book cover. Very cheeky!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks for you posts Jenna.  I know from doing some TV and radio, that I sound like a completely different person from who I think I really am.  I seem to go into 'tv mode' no matter what I do to avoid it.

BTW - I really liked your book cover.  Very cheeky!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks Pam - glad you liked the cover. On the day of the final challenge, when we walked in to williams-Sonoma I was told that they (wS) didn't want my book cover shown in the store or in connection to the challenge. Twenty minutes before I went on, it definitely shook me a bit and I was a toned-down version of Butterchik the Cheeky. Seems like they liked my photoshoot in the end though, as it made the show.

SSCChallenge is airing again today on FTVC at 4 pm ET / 1 pm PT if you are near the tube and interested. I can think of other things to fill a sunny Saturday summer afternoon - like prepping for Father's Day.....

Jenna Dashney

FRESH BUTTER HERE

Pam thanks for the link to last year's winner, I saw a brief commercial with Dana in it and never saw it again or could find any info about her on the FTV website. I used to work with her, and wasn't really sure if it was really her on the commercial, but now it is confirmed. That's really cool that she won, she is a really great person. Likes to eat raw bread dough though.

• 3 months later...

Yes people, they're at it again! Clicky.

Submissions are due by November 17. Anybody going to enter??

It looks like somebody came to their senses (or read eGullet). From the website:

Superstar Chef Challenge returns to air June 2007 but it’s going to be bigger and better with 10 competitors battling it out in six half-hour delicious episodes.

I like that it's going to be six episodes rather than one.

Any idea what's happening with Anthony Sedlak?