• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Shanghai] Xinci Hotel

Kent Wang

Xinci Hotel on the outskirts of Shanghai. We were in the area visiting with relatives.

gallery_36558_2964_124997.jpg

Lotus root stuffed with sweet rice.

gallery_36558_2964_75566.jpg

Dates stuffed with sweet rice flour. I don't think I've seen this before, very tasty.

gallery_36558_2964_71474.jpg

Roasted pig tail.

gallery_36558_2964_63354.jpg

Short ribs. Crispy, smokey crust just barely short of being burnt. Expert timing.

gallery_36558_2964_19309.jpg

Crab roe soup in crab-shaped bowl.

gallery_36558_2964_84147.jpg

Fried snake.

gallery_36558_2964_114651.jpg

Steamed fish with mango sauce in fried bean curd sheets. Well-executed fusion.

gallery_36558_2964_101218.jpg

Asparagus wrapped in bacon with barbecue sauce. A copy of the Western classic, unfortunately they steamed the bacon instead of frying it and smothered everything with excessive amounts of oversweet barbecue dish.

I was surprised with the originality of a lot of these dishes, especially since the restaurant was in a hotel. The bill was very low, making this meal one of the best values we had in Shanghai.

This is the very last of my posts with photos from China. I had a lot of fun in China, the food was great and I hope to return in the next few years. I have a bunch of photos from my trip, both food-related and not, on my Flickr.

gallery_36558_2964_124997.jpg

Lotus root stuffed with sweet rice.

Nice pictures (again), Kent! Is this one sweet or savory? Is it considered an appetizer (if savory)?

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Nice pictures (again), Kent!  Is this one sweet or savory?  Is it considered an appetizer (if savory)?

Sweet, a staple that I've seen in many restaurants in China and in the US. It came out with all the cold dishes which included both savory and sweet dishes, like the stuffed dates. Chinese cuisine doesn't seem to differentiate desserts the same way that Western cuisine does, which I have no problems with.

I've never seen a savory version of this dish though I can imagine it can be pretty good stuffed with ground pork.

Thanks everyone for all the kind words. It makes all the work taking and organizing the photos worthwhile.

Edited by Kent Wang (log)

Kent -- Pleeeeze stay in China a little longer!

I have so enjoyed your trip and those great pictures. What wonderful memories you have gathered these past weeks.

I've never had pig tail. Tasty? The presentation of some of those dishes are beautiful --- especially the fish in the fried curd skin. Like a flower!

Where do I start on your Flickr -- there are over 18,000 pictures there!

I've never had pig tail. Tasty?  The presentation of some of those dishes are beautiful --- especially the fish in the fried curd skin. Like a flower!

Where do I start on your Flickr -- there are over 18,000 pictures there!

Pig tail is similar to pig feet, the skin is about the same but there is not nearly so much fat in layer underneath the skin, very tasty.

The Flickr link I posted above takes you to only the photos from my China trip. Yes, there are 305 photos.