• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ciclón

Jason Perlow

I don't normally get excited about new Bacardi products, but this one at least is somewhat interesting -- Ciclón ("Cyclone") is a blend of gold Bacardi rum with blue agave tequila and natural lime flavoring. They are marketing it under its own brand name, rather than under the Bacardi umbrella. The spirit is so new to the market that they don't even have info about it on the net yet or Bacardi's web site.

I tried some this evening over ice -- its a nice change from your average flavored rum, and should mix well with Coke and other fruit juices. The tequila adds a really interesting flavor to it as well, so I would imagine it making a pretty mean margarita.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 1 month later...

Bacardi 8 is an OK rum, although certainly better than anejo or 1873. There are other 6-8 year old rums that are less expensive and are better products, IMHO.

Ciclon is definitely something you either like or don't. As flavored rums go I think its pretty interesting, certainly at least as good as Marti Mojito, which is strictly a white rum with some lime flavor and has been selling pretty well from what I hear. I think the gold rum with the lime and the tequila gives Ciclon some balance and smooths it out somewhat.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I haven't tried the Mojito rum yet, but have been anxious to see if it is worth the hype. I will tell you this though, for what it is worth, no one in the liquor industry was excited to see Ciclon come out. Most liquor stores can barely keep thier premium products on the top shelf because they just don't sell en masse. Ciclon is yet another addition demanding premium space because Bacardi owns them. The only reason most small to medium liquor stores bothered is because Bacardi has spent 15 million in advertising for Ciclon.

You are correct, it is definintly a love or hate drink. As far as Bacardi 8 goes, it is pretty good, but there are better rums in that price range, I agree. I was simply trying to give a price comparison for value. IMO, people's money would be better spent on either rum or tequila in the 20 buck price range than it would be on Ciclon.

Thanks mickblueeyes, you've expressed my opinion exactly. Given that Bacardi has spent (?)millions on this new product makes me glad I'm not on the recieving end of this marketing push. It is sad that a lot of really good products hardly get any space because the big guys demand that their products get premium placement. This is the same reason that a number of good rums don't make it to the shelf. More than a few distributors won't take on new products, not because they don't want to, but because they are pressured by the firms that are further up the food chain.

The good news is that through forums like this, consumers can find out about new products and actually drive demand from the consumer level, something the rum industry hasn't experienced for a long time.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 8 months later...

Having tried this new tequila flavored rum, twice, I can honestly say that I don't like it and will even go as far as to stick my neck out and predict that it doesn't last two years which is about as long as Bacardi will continue to spend money on a new product that isn't selling. In it's defense I have to say that I have encountered a couple of people who tell me that they don't find it offensive but neither says that they will seek it out and buy a bottle but will have an occasional drink of the stuff in a bar.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 1 year later...

Ciclon isn't real special straight, but I make these to go with popcorn and a movie:

1.5-2.5 oz Ciclon (depending on mood)

ice

diet 7-up

wedge of lime

Fills a 12-oz glass.

I haven't thought of a good name for it. I was calling it a Crevasse for a while, but that doesn't really fit. Too alpine, not Bahamian enough.

I tried once knocking off my own blend, but I couldn't get it close, even with several kinds of rum and tequila to choose from. Someone at Bacardi knows something we don't.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I use it for: makes a tasty Cuba Libre type drink with a little extra fresh lime added.

I don't think I've ever seen it in a bar, but I wouldn't seek it out there, either. The stuff is pretty cheap, just go buy some!

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

Is it just Rum, Tequila, and lime juice then? No sweeteners (sugar) added? If if this is just a blended liquor I will have to try some, but if it drifts into sugar laden liqueurs I will have to pass...

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Is it just Rum, Tequila, and lime juice then?  No sweeteners (sugar) added?  If if this is just a blended liquor I will have to try some, but if it drifts into sugar laden liqueurs I will have to pass...

IIRC, I once saw the formula, and it's 9 parts rum, 1 part tequila, and just a little lime. (That's where I started experimenting and learning that the exact character of the rum and tequila are critical; I can guarantee that Cabo Wabo Reposado and Pusser's aren't a match, so I'm still stuck finishing those straight...)

Lime has a little sugar in it, and of course Rum is cane-sugar based and sweet by nature, but this is no pre-fab boat drink. The stuff in the bottle is clear, thin (save for its legs), and high in alcohol content. Pretty nearly straight booze. It seems to be designed to let people who really can't tolerate the intense flavoring of straight tequila do shots that taste like tequila. Although as we're all noticing it's probably better as a mixing agent.

If anything is pushed, I'd bet it's the color. Too close to a corn-fed tequila to be natural. But at least it's not a minty blue...

Your best bet if you want to try it is of course to troll your better-stocked bars and sample a shot. The distros were placing it in most of the bars I go to, although well after I'd "discovered" it at the supermarket. (Such an adventurer, huh?)

This has been available in Canada (at least here in Edmonton, where I currently live) for over a year now. Several of my friends buy it regularly, finding it a pleasant summer beverage, sort of a "tequila lite." Most of them, being anything but purists, drink it with their usual soft drink of choice; a few use soda water.

It's an interesting beverage. I'm not one for mixed drinks, so I can't answer for its versatility in cocktails, but there's nothing at all wrong with it as an offbeat "company" drink. Don't mind it myself, but wouldn't buy it very often (or at all, until I've paid off my student loans anyway. Gotta save my pennies for the good stuff...).

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning