• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Old Dutch buys Humpty Dumpty

Marlene

We now own Humpty Dumpty Potato Chips

as well so you will be finding that brand tasting more and more like an Old

Dutch product.

This is depressing...I loved Humpty Dumpty bbq chips when I was a kid..I really missed them when I moved west..never took to Old Dutch. Sigh.

I believe that the chips have been available west of and including Thunder Bay.  This expansion will bring Old Dutch from Coast to Coast (to Coast?).

ETA:  :laugh: I guess they stopped the online ordering since they won't need it once they're available everywhere?

Give me a minute to wipe the grease from my fingers and open up the information folder ...(I've already started in on the chipotle lime; disturbingly delicious). Okay, the press release is dated March 26, 2007 and it says they're launching their Crunch brand of kettle cooked chips, Restaurante and Arriba brand tortilla chips throughout Ontario, Quebec and Eastern Canada starting THIS MONTH. So, I guess this means any day now. But the release also notes: "For the time being, Westerners can take heart that not everything Old Dutch that is sacred to them will be shared with everyone else. Some Dutch favourites, including the famous Old Dutch twin-pack box, will still only be available in Western Canada."

Now, I don't know what this whole twin-pack thing is all about, and why a box of chips is so sacred that they won't share it with the rest of us. But suddenly I want one real bad.

So the ones I used to order online, BBQ, ripple etc will not be available still in Ontario yet. That's depressing.

Old Dutch also has a really good salt and pepper chip as well. My husband was recently in Saskatchewan and brought some of the garlic and onion and the buffalo wings chips home, but we haven't tried them yet. I have several boxes of BBQ still from my last online order (my husbands favourite) and a friend sent me a care package of a case of Old Dutch ripple, so at least I'll have my Old Dutch fix for a while. :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Have you seen this Marlene?

http://www.anchorsfoodfinds.com/cookers/ol...otatochips.html

chip of the month club! Love it.

This I didn't know...

Old Dutch Chips can be frozen for longer keeping. Please keep them in the bag and unopened. The bag will expand because of the cold air. The chips will taste just as fresh as when they went into the freezer. Our recommendation is not to leave them in the freezer for more that 6-8 months past the expiration date on the bag. (If the bag as been opened, please do not put back in the freezer.)

Have you seen this Marlene?

http://www.anchorsfoodfinds.com/cookers/ol...otatochips.html

chip of the month club! Love it.

This I didn't know...

Old Dutch Chips can be frozen for longer keeping. Please keep them in the bag and unopened. The bag will expand because of the cold air. The chips will taste just as fresh as when they went into the freezer. Our recommendation is not to leave them in the freezer for more that 6-8 months past the expiration date on the bag. (If the bag as been opened, please do not put back in the freezer.)

No I hadn't seen this! Gotta love it. And it may be one way to get my continued Old Dutch fix. :biggrin:

Marlene

• 1 year later...

I think I mentioned this elsewhere, but can't find it now...

When I returned to Canada in July, my mother surprised me with not one, but two bags of Old Dutch!

One was "Bar-B-Q", the beloved potato chip of my childhood, and the best barbecue-flavoured chip ever.

The other was "BBQ"--New and Improved, the bag said.

Well, the New and Improved BBQ flavour sucked. It was more like other barbecue-flavoured chips--too sweet, too something. Not like my beloved Bar-B-Q at all.

I thought it might just be a trial flavour, but by the time I left in August the shelves were packed with the new flavour, and the old Bar-B-Q was nowhere to be seen. Had I known, I'd have stocked up on the old one!

I wrote to Old Dutch expressing my dismay, but I never received a reply. :sad:

Well, now I have absolutely no reason to buy OD chips again (except maybe for the occasional dill pickle bag). If they tamper with my OD cheese-flavoured nacho chips, I'm going to be very very upset!

On a plus note, at least I don't have to worry about the temptation anymore!

We saw the new flavour in Prince Albert when we were out west this summer. Yes, it sucked. I did notice that new bags of OD BBQ have just hit the stores here in Ontario. It used to be just the rippled BBQ. They don't say new flavour, so I'll have to taste test them and see if they are the same old BBQ flavour we loved.

Marlene

We saw the new flavour in Prince Albert when we were out west this summer.  Yes, it sucked.  I did notice that new bags of OD BBQ have just hit the stores here in Ontario.  It used to be just the rippled BBQ.  They don't say new flavour, so I'll have to taste test them and see if they are the same old BBQ flavour we loved.

The key lies in how they spell the name.

If it's Bar-B-Q, it's the old flavour.

If it's BBQ, it sucks. :biggrin:

I was born and raised too far Way Down Yonder to have heard of either chip. In fact, my association with the name "Old Dutch" is far different, in that my first thought on seeing the thread title was, "Oh, that will be such a relief to all those King's horses and all those King's men."

To wit:

http://www.adclassix.com/ads2/31olddutch.htm

Edited by racheld (log)

We saw the new flavour in Prince Albert when we were out west this summer.  Yes, it sucked.  I did notice that new bags of OD BBQ have just hit the stores here in Ontario.  It used to be just the rippled BBQ.  They don't say new flavour, so I'll have to taste test them and see if they are the same old BBQ flavour we loved.

The key lies in how they spell the name.

If it's Bar-B-Q, it's the old flavour.

If it's BBQ, it sucks. :biggrin:

Well that's interesting! I'll have to check my box of OD at the cottage to see. And, now that I look at the bag of OD here, not only does it say BBQ, but it says Humpty Dumpty twang! :unsure:

Marlene

• 10 months later...

Some good news!!

I've been looking for Old Dutch, and still only found bags of the relatively new BBQ flavour on the shelves--the one with the black band. I was disappointed and I sent off another e-mail to Old Dutch which of course was ignored. (Hello?!?!??! Customer service? The idea of service is to, at the very least respond, even if it's just to say "Tough luck.")

Then I was at Zellers yesterday. What do I spy but a box of the old Bar-B-Q flavour! I bought one, just one because they may have trying to trick me.

Got home and opened my box, and then took out one silver (they're silver now!) bag.

Mmmmmm. . . . memories of childhood.

All I needed to complete the experience was a can of Hires root beer (where can I get that in Winnipeg?).

Remember, Bar-B-Q is the way to go. None of that BBQ crap!