• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Berlin Restaurants

Winot

Thanks, Malacitana. I arrived in Berlin yesterday and actually ate at VAU last evening. My husband, who has been here for a couple of weeks already, said it was 4 or 5 times better than anything else he had had here, but we both thought it was nowhere near up to the standards of, say, some wonderful restaurants we tried in Sweden a couple of years ago. Vau's food was creative and attractive, and the service was just fine, but in most of the dishes, the flavors did not quite come together gracefully. I do appreciate the recommendation for 44; I'll try to get there.

Do you by any chance know of any really good traditional bakeries here? I'm particularly interested in bread, but I'm more than happy to go hunting down good pastry as well.

Another good restaurant is the "Quadriga" in the Hotel "Brandenburger Hof" near Kurfürstendamm. The chef there is Bobby Braeuer who was several years chef in the "Koenigshof" in Munich.

Traditional Bakeries ?? All German bakeries offer the same stuff in different qualities. What's the best belongs to the clients taste.

Look for this sign "Goldene Brezel 2005/2006" the following bakeries are awarded.

Axel Kaczmarzik, Charlottenburg

BackWerk

Nehringstr. 3

14059 Berlin

BackHaus GmbH, Falkensee

H.-J. Leib

Bahnhofstr. 6-8

14612 Falkensee

Bäckerei Hohenschönhausen

Jürgen Rauch

Sandinostr. 14

13055 Berlin

Bäckerei Köpenick

Jürgen Buhrmeister

Wiebelskircher Weg 39

12589 Berlin

Rainer Schwadtke, Köpenick

Dresdner Feinbäckerei

Bölschestr. 89

12587 Berlin

Bäckerei Köpenick

Ralf Sommerwerk

Borgmannstr. 6

12555 Berlin

Feinbäckerei Lichtenberg

Uwe Richter

Einbecker Str. 46

10315 Berlin

Bäckerei Pankow

Karsten John

Wollankstr. 110

13187 Berlin

Bäckerei Prenzlauer Berg

Kempe

Hufelandstr. 9

10407 Berlin

Bäckerei Prenzlauer Berg

Manfred Kädtler

Danziger Str. 135

10407 Berlin

Bäckerei Prenzlauer Berg

Lars Siebert

Schönfließer Str. 12

10439 Berlin

Bäckerei/Konditorei Schöneberg

Johann Mayer OHG

Kurt und Karsten Berning

Ebersstr. 42

10827 Berlin

Bäckerei Schöneberg

Walter Seitz

Brot und Wein

Hochkirchstr. 10

10829 Berlin

Familienbäckerei Spandau

Rösler GmbH

Falkenseer Chaussee 194

13589 Berlin

Bäckerei Steglitz

Walf GmbH

Hans-Joachim Blauert

Lankwitzer Str. 2 - 3

12209 Berlin

Bäckerei Steglitz

Alfons Wagner

Sachsenwaldstr. 30

12157 Berlin

Bäckerei Steglitz

Georg Hillmann GmbH & Co. KG

Hindenburgdamm 93 a

12203 Berlin

Bäckerei Tempelhof

Ingo Wüstenhöfer

Marienfelder Allee 99

12277 Berlin

Bäcker Tempelhof

Wiedemann GmbH

Wilhelm-v.-Siemens-Str. 26-28

12277 Berlin

Café Obergfell GmbH, Tempelhof

Lichtenrader Damm 36

12305 Berlin

Bäckerei Tempelhof

Stefan Obergfell

Alt-Lichtenrade 140

12309 Berlin

Enjoy hunting

H.B. aka "Legourmet"

Thanks, Malacitana. I arrived in Berlin yesterday and actually ate at VAU last evening. My husband, who has been here for a couple of weeks already, said it was 4 or 5 times better than anything else he had had here, but we both thought it was nowhere near up to the standards of, say, some wonderful restaurants we tried in Sweden a couple of years ago. Vau's food was creative and attractive, and the service was just fine, but in most of the dishes, the flavors did not quite come together gracefully. I do appreciate the recommendation for 44; I'll try to get there.

Do you by any chance know of any really good traditional bakeries here? I'm particularly interested in bread, but I'm more than happy to go hunting down good pastry as well.

Another good restaurant is the "Quadriga" in the Hotel "Brandenburger Hof" near Kurfürstendamm. The chef there is Bobby Braeuer who was several years chef in the "Koenigshof" in Munich.

Traditional Bakeries ?? All German bakeries offer the same stuff in different qualities. What's the best belongs to the clients taste.

Look for this sign "Goldene Brezel 2005/2006" the following bakeries are awarded.

Axel Kaczmarzik, Charlottenburg

BackWerk

Nehringstr. 3

14059 Berlin

BackHaus GmbH, Falkensee

H.-J. Leib

Bahnhofstr. 6-8

14612 Falkensee

Bäckerei Hohenschönhausen

Jürgen Rauch

Sandinostr. 14

13055 Berlin

Bäckerei Köpenick

Jürgen Buhrmeister

Wiebelskircher Weg 39

12589 Berlin

Rainer Schwadtke, Köpenick

Dresdner Feinbäckerei

Bölschestr. 89

12587 Berlin

Bäckerei Köpenick

Ralf Sommerwerk

Borgmannstr. 6

12555 Berlin

Feinbäckerei Lichtenberg

Uwe Richter

Einbecker Str. 46

10315 Berlin

Bäckerei Pankow

Karsten John

Wollankstr. 110

13187 Berlin

Bäckerei Prenzlauer Berg

Kempe

Hufelandstr. 9

10407 Berlin

Bäckerei Prenzlauer Berg

Manfred Kädtler

Danziger Str. 135

10407 Berlin

Bäckerei Prenzlauer Berg

Lars Siebert

Schönfließer Str. 12

10439 Berlin

Bäckerei/Konditorei Schöneberg

Johann Mayer OHG

Kurt und Karsten Berning

Ebersstr. 42

10827 Berlin

Bäckerei Schöneberg

Walter Seitz

Brot und Wein

Hochkirchstr. 10

10829 Berlin

Familienbäckerei Spandau

Rösler GmbH

Falkenseer Chaussee 194

13589 Berlin

Bäckerei Steglitz

Walf GmbH

Hans-Joachim Blauert

Lankwitzer Str. 2 - 3

12209 Berlin

Bäckerei Steglitz

Alfons Wagner

Sachsenwaldstr. 30

12157 Berlin

Bäckerei Steglitz

Georg Hillmann GmbH & Co. KG

Hindenburgdamm 93 a

12203 Berlin

Bäckerei Tempelhof

Ingo Wüstenhöfer

Marienfelder Allee 99

12277 Berlin

Bäcker Tempelhof

Wiedemann GmbH

Wilhelm-v.-Siemens-Str. 26-28

12277 Berlin

Café Obergfell GmbH, Tempelhof

Lichtenrader Damm 36

12305 Berlin

Bäckerei Tempelhof

Stefan Obergfell

Alt-Lichtenrade 140

12309 Berlin

Enjoy hunting

Thanks for the great post on Berlin bakeries. I'll be in Berlin for a few days at the end of October.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm headed to Berlin in the next couple of days and interested in recomendations.

Is the 44 mentioned the restaurant in the Swiss hotel?

What is the restaurant in the Madison at Potsdamer Platz like?

What was the atmosphere at VAU? What would be an equivalent in NYC for example.

Thanks,

ps--any other recomendations would be welcome also.

• 1 month later...

Dear e-Gullet,

Five Frenchies, and one Franco-American just returned from 5 days in Berlin (October 2006). We found several upper-end establishments to be disappointing in terms of "value for money". Some of the best food and overall experiences were found at the more reasonable end of the spectrum. Below are a few of our Berlin restaurant recommendations (with thanks to others who shared thoughts here and elsewhere!).

Bon appétit!

** Anne in Paris

1) Lutter & Wegner

56, Charlottenstrasse, Gendarmenmarkt

+49 20 29 540

Brasserie style German-Austrian cuisine served in an elegant traditional room lined with contemporary art on the walls. A setting that speaks of both the past and present. Excellent fish and updated versions of many traditional dishes. Reasonable prices 17-25euros/ main course. We found it a very enjoyable experience overall. (Thanks to Ed Ward for his posting on this one).

2) Dachgarten Restaurant (Käfer Berlin)

Within the glass dome of the Reichstag we enjoyed superb views over the city of Berlin with inventive cooking coming from the open kitchen. Part of a very successful Munich based restaurant group, and the best way to cut the queues to get into the Richard Foster-designed glass dome of the Reichstag. (Suggested to us by a local)

Platz der Republik, 11011 Berlin

http://www.feinkost-kaefer.de (German only)

Tel. +49 30 22 62 99 0

3) Lunch and Tea spots . . .

a) Self-service restaurant in the 7th floor glass dome of the KaDeWe department store (Tauentzienstrasse 21-24 (Wittenbergplatz). (Suggested to us by a local)

b) Oxymoron Rosenthaler Strasse, 40-41 (Hackescher Markt) -- German-Italian cuisine in a brasserie-style setting. Very good desserts as well, and just a short walk from the Museum island and Berliner Dom. (Suggested to us by a local)

c) Cafe Einstein -- Unter den Linden 42 (at Friedrichstrasse). Not the original, but great stop for coffee and excellent cheesecake, or a glass of wine, while people watching or reading newspapers from around the globe. (Also suggested to us by a local)

d) Hotel Adler Bar -- great for tea of hot chocolate if you want to experience the Adler ambiance for "un petit prix".

4) Restaurant Remake -- very good food, nice atmosphere, pity about the service! (Again, thanks to e-Gullet member for posting).

32 Grosse Hamburger Strasse

10115 Berlin

http://www.restaurant-remake.de

Tel: +49 30 200 54102

Just a few more comments about REMAKE because it was in part through recommendations in e-Gullet that we made the decision to go . . . REMAKE has had a lot of positive press and has been sought after by diners in the know. On the night that we dined, the classical singer Renee Fleming walked in with two others, as she was apparently in the city in preparation for a concert there next month. Our group enjoyed our dinner here, despite what we considered very average service from a young waitress whose primary interest was clearly to make our bill for the evening as high as possible (perhaps presuming a large tip?) The restaurant was conceived by owner Stefan Dreier. Having lost it's original chef, a new duo of Andreas Dietrich and Michel Wendel displayed the talents they developed at several Michelin starred establishments. Their cooking showed both modern creativity as well as respect for traditional German ingredients and cuisine. A very good 4, 5 or 6 course menu was on offer for between 45 and 68 euros, depending on the number of courses. We were impressed and would certainly come back, except . . . our universal complaint about the service was significant. It did not match the quality of the cuisine. Our waitress was not knowledgable about the dishes, and her manner varied form inappropriately informal and lacking in descretion, to outright pushy (when it came to ordering higher priced items) and inattentive (when it came to checking to see if everything was okay). All of us felt the service was not good enough for an establishment trying to pitch a certain degree of sophistication. For example, having ordered our meals, we asked for recommendations on a moderately priced bottle of wine preferably from the region. Our waitress recommended a (hardly local) Spanish Rioja which I quickly noted was listed in euros for the equivalent of USD $120 a bottle. Though we made an alternative choice, we had to stop her from opening a second bottle before we had ordered it. We decided not to go for another bottle since we had already had drinks at the hotel before dinner, and a glass each of champagne upon arrival at Remake. At the end of the meal, we had been through so much with her that there was collective laughter as she tried to push everyone to have coffees. At that point, the few who did want them decided to retract their request. It was enough.

Let's hope REMAKE can remake the front of the house so that it is a true complement to what is going on in the kitchen.

We were impressed and would certainly come back, except . . . our universal complaint about the service was significant.  It did not match the quality of the cuisine.  Our waitress was not knowledgable about the dishes, and her manner varied form inappropriately informal and lacking in descretion, to outright pushy (when it came to ordering higher priced items) and inattentive (when it came to checking to see if everything was okay).  All of us felt the service was not good enough for an establishment trying to pitch a certain degree of sophistication.  For example, having ordered our meals, we asked for recommendations on a moderately priced bottle of wine preferably from the region. Our waitress recommended a (hardly local) Spanish Rioja which I quickly noted was listed in euros for the equivalent of USD $120 a bottle.  Though we made an alternative choice, we had to stop her from opening a second bottle before we had ordered it.  We decided not to go for another bottle since we had already had drinks at the hotel before dinner, and a glass each of champagne upon arrival at Remake.  At the end of the meal, we had been through so much with her that there was collective laughter as she tried to push everyone to have coffees.  At that point, the few who did want them decided to retract their request.  It was enough.

Let's hope REMAKE can remake the front of the house so that it is a true complement to what is going on in the kitchen.

Sorry about your bad experiance concerning the service in the rtestaurant Remake. When I am not satisfied with the service I'd ask for the restaurant chef to get the appropriate information and help. If there is no blame, the current situation will never change.

You asked for a moderately priced bottle of lokal wine. The German wines shown in the wine list

are

Whites

4 dry Rieslings (Kabinett, Spätlese)

1 dry Riesling (erstes Gewächs)

1 dry white pinot

1 dry pinot grigio

Reds

1 dry Lemberger

1 Spätburgunder

1 Cuvee

As I know from many contacts with American wine freaks dry rieslings are not to be liked abroad. So you've had just three other choices. These German Württemberger reds are overpriced and at the lower end of good wines. IMHO.

The waitress should have offered Austrians instead, but those good ones listed are also high in price.

H.B. aka "Legourmet"

I recommend Tutun (Tobacco) a Persian restaurant. Iranian royalty on their glassware, shoes off, carpets, low tables and excellent authentic aromatic food. Ask them for their recommendations, have a hubbly-bubbly with scented tobaccos... Just remember to bring cash, no credit cards taken. A great place for a group meal

Address : Reinhardtstr. 19

Tel : 23 45 56 28

Open daily :17:00-24:00

Thank you Tom for the Persain suggestion, and to Heinz, for your analysis and comments on the Remake wine list. Personally, I found that many of the Rheingau Rieslings can be excellent. However, due to preferences at the table on the night we were at Remake, it was decided to go with a well balanced Austrian Red.

I agree with the comment regarding asking the staff to ask the chef when you are not satisfied. Just so I'm not misunderstood, I don't mean to single out Remake for bad service, only to indicate that on that particular night, with that particular waitress, the service detracted from what was otherwise an enjoyable experience. Everyone was uncomfortable. We all know that getting the balance "right" between cuisine/kitchen team, table and wine service, restaurant ambiance and pricing/profit model, is always an enormous challenge for a restaurant. Rarely can one find a place where they are all at an equal level of perfection. My feeling is that is important to be a good customer first by establishing with the service staff the right rapport from the start. When this doesn't work for some reason, it helps to guide the staff about your expections ("could you ask the chef how such and such is prepared?"), and if this approach still it doesn't work, I tend to escalate things up the chain, but usually doing it quietly either as a whisper or by excusing myself for a moment to take it up with the MD or chef. The situation becomes more difficult when in a group, and particularly when someone else is has the "honor" of serving as the host.

I hope to have a more positive experience to report next time!

• 2 weeks later...

Berlin is not really a real impressive restaurant town, although there are some little gems around if you are familiar enough with the city, but I am surprised that no one has mentioned KaDeWe , the 6th floor. I have been in Berlin many times and really the fun thing, food-wise, to do IMO is go there. Plan your day around lunch and go there. Keep dinner light. Berlin seems to have a pipline to some good fresh fish and seafood (not all of it by the way. The Lobster I had last month there was frozen, ugh.) and all that seafood is sold at KaDeWe. It is actually a great business model. (Paul Bocuse actually had an outlet up there until just recently. And, shock of shocks, that was where I had the frozen lobster. NZ not Canadian).

The Paris bakery Lenotre has a little cafe on the 6th floor also. They had the single best simple chocolate torte that I have ever had, it is called L'Etoile if anyone goes up there.

I have been to Berlin twice in the last month and recently had an oyster orgy at KaDeWe. One little cafe on the 6th had oysters from 6 different European areas. Way interesting but as usual the ones from Brittany were the best .

For restaurants, per se, the only places we return to are this little Chinese place called Good Friends and right next door is a little Japanese/Korean sushi and yaki bar (great crispy chicken-skin yaki. One is enough but very intersting to try) You can find them near to the corner of Bliebtreustrasse and Kant Strasse. About one block off Kuferstendamm right in the center of W. Berlin.

• 4 months later...

Berlin

This is one of a series of compendia that seeks to provide information available in prior threads on eGullet. Please feel free to add links to additional threads or posts or to add suggestions.

Restaurant recommendations

Bakeries

Restaurants, hotels, clubs

Ethnic food

Tips from residents

Restaurants

Quality/price

Berlin

Any recs

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

anyone elso got any input for berlin? I am going on Sunday and on quite a tight budget. Will check out Ka De We and possibly Lutter & Wegner, any other mid-low budget secret gems?

We're not leaving for Berlin until next weekend - so all I know is what I've read. Don't know if it's available where you are - but why don't you try to pick up a copy of the Let's Go guide to Germany (formerly known as the Harvard Student Guide). Extremely useful in terms of sightseeing tips - and budget travel suggestions. It's geared for students (who are almost always on tight budgets) - but I think the suggestions are useful for older people too.

If you can't find a copy - why not pick up a guide when you get to Germany? The Michelin red guide is only in German - but it's very comprehensive and you can at least read the ratings and the price ranges even if you don't read German. Plus - it gives you restaurants by neighborhood (Berlin is a big city). Robyn

P.S. I am guessing from your posts that you are a younger woman (I'm an older woman). From what I've read - there are areas of Berlin that are kind of rough - and some of the cheapest restaurants might be in those areas. The Let's Go guides are very honest about which areas of town are safe - and which aren't - when it comes to recommending cheap hotels and cheap restaurants. If you can't find a copy before you leave - perhaps you can find one in a large bookstore in Berlin (or at an airport bookstore). Robyn

Just a short note regarding "safety" in berlin, since robyn mentioned it: apart from some areas where no tourist ever goes anyway (like "wedding" or "neukölln"), berlin is a pretty safe city.

On the other hand, unlike in the US, you will see many young and drunk and noisy people in the streets in all areas of the city, even in yuppie areas such as "Mitte" or "Prenzlauer Berg". Sometimes there is some "agresiveness" in the air with certain groups of drunk/stoned youngsters, but rarely (or never!) have I really felt "threatened"...

Relax and have fun!

The German soccer cup final will take place in Berlin the weekend we're arriving - so we might see a few of the people you're talking about :wink: .

To Minichef - I don't know how long you're staying in Berlin - but that weekend should be very busy in the city. Robyn

If you are on a budget I would not recommend Michelin guides. Even their "bargain" choices tend to be fairly expensive and of a certain type. (Plus, all that info is on their website for free. )

I highly recommend the "Time Out" books -- especially since there is one especially for Berlin. The point of view is a bit more plugged in to what is going on culturally, and I've found their restaurant and bar reviews to be very reliable. I don't like the "Let's Go" guides, they always seem to be five years out of date.

Viel Spass in Berlin! It is a wonderful (and quite safe!) city.

Edited by Behemoth (log)

Hey everyone!

I'm going to be in Berlin for the first time for two days this Friday and Saturday, and I'm looking for somewhere to eat on the Friday night.

I'm on a pretty tight budget and don't really want to spend more than €20-€30 for two or three courses including drinks (non alcoholic). As I'm on a budget, and don't posses that sophisticated a pallet (!), somewhere serving traditional good home-style German cuisine would be perfect.

I don't know Berlin at all, but I'm staying on the Hallesches Ufer, just down from Potsdamer Platz, so somewhere in that area would be ideal, but I'll probably buy a public transport pass, so it's not essential.

I'll certainly make sure that I visit KaDeWe on the Saturday afternoon to splurge a little for lunch; after what I've read on here it sounds like quite a fantastic place!

Many thanks in anticipation.

With all best wishes, Jack.

Hey everyone!

I'm going to be in Berlin for the first time for two days this Friday and Saturday, and I'm looking for somewhere to eat on the Friday night.

I'm on a pretty tight budget and don't really want to spend more than €20-€30 for two or three courses including drinks (non alcoholic). As I'm on a budget, and don't posses that sophisticated a pallet (!), somewhere serving traditional good home-style German cuisine would be perfect.

I don't know Berlin at all, but I'm staying on the Hallesches Ufer, just down from Potsdamer Platz, so somewhere in that area would be ideal, but I'll probably buy a public transport pass, so it's not essential.

I'll certainly make sure that I visit KaDeWe on the Saturday afternoon to splurge a little for lunch; after what I've read on here it sounds like quite a fantastic place!

Many thanks in anticipation.

With all best wishes, Jack.

In case you don't know - the German World Cup soccer finals (men's and women's) are in Berlin on Saturday May 26 (perhaps that's why you're going to Berlin). I suspect you'll need reservations at most restaurants that weekend. Robyn

In case you don't know  - the German World Cup soccer finals (men's and women's) are in Berlin on Saturday May 26 (perhaps that's why you're going to Berlin).  I suspect you'll need reservations at most restaurants that weekend.  Robyn

Ah, no I didn't know that - in fact, it might have been a reason for not going this weekend had I known! Oh well, any suggestions for places that aren't as likely to be as busy would still be gratefully received :).

Jack.

I would rather expect the opposite actually.......restaurants might be pretty empty as people might stay home. The soccer fans certainly will not spend much on food, their money goes all for beer. And in addition, Berlin is a pretty big city.

I stayed in an apt in W Berlin, near a Woolworths, and an underground stop. My Berlinerin friend describes it as a working class neighborhood.

A short walk in the other direction was a very traditional german restaurant (I had to drag my hostess to it - she is "more modern"). The food was excellent. There were antlers on the walls, etc. The waitress had a classic Berlin accent, and found us americans highly amusing. I'm trying to dig up enough information to identify it and give an address.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Well I've just back from an oddly deserted Berlin. Well, apart from the squares packed with football fans! It's a really lovely city and despite only being there for two days I think it's probably the best place I've visited this year so far. Highly recommended.

I visited Berlin's Farmers' Market on the Saturday morning as well which worth a little trip.

Anyway, I didn't really eat out anywhere properly. The first night I found an outdoor concert along from where I was staying and indulged in the obligatory wurst. On the second day I went to the absolutely amazing KaDeWe for lunch and ate at the Lenotre pattiserie on the 6th floor, having a Quiche Lorraine and the Chocolate Etoile - both very good. Unfortunately I only ventured up to the 7th floor restaurant after I'd eaten, but it looked like a nice place with good food.

Of course, anyone going to Germany has to try a Bretzel as well - delicious.

Though a Brezel should only be eaten in the south of Germany, ideally around Stuttgart. That is the real thing and I never had a really good one anywhere to the north.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I have seen a few Berlin posts out there but wanted to start a fresh Berlin post to get some new information.

I will be in Berlin for a few weeks on a business trip. I'll be working and staying right near Potsdamer Platz which I believe is downtown Berlin.

I am looking for suggestions for both lunch and dinner places in and around the area. For lunch I want them to be close by (walking distance). However for dinner I'd like some close by places and also some places that require a cab / train / subway ride.

Looking for all sorts of ideas....good local food, a lot of healthy options, and whatever suggestions you have.

Thank so much!