• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brakspear to stop brewing?

Miss J

According to CAMRA and the Brakspear Corporate site, it's highly likely that Brakspear will cease brewing, sell the site the brewery was based on, and shift its focus to "developing its pub and property estate."

All future "Brakspear" beers will be made and marketed by Refresh UK, the owners of Wychwood Brewery.

CAMRA is running an online campaign to try and influence the directors of Brakspear to continue to make their own products according to the methods they've developed over 200 years, but it seems highly unlikely to succeed. For those who are interested, the campaign is being run here.

I find it hard to shed any tears for loss of the noxious brews produced by this odious house.

I know one should support real ales yadda, yadda, yadda, and anyone who has seen me under the tap at the Wenlock knows I like my beer, but there is only one rule in brewing beer, be any damn good at it, and these people are not.

Sorry, can't join the crusade

S

We were talking about taste memory on another thread, and this is a good example of how shaky it is. I know I have drunk Brakspear bitter many times, but I have no fresh recollection of how much I liked it. I'll miss the name. Cute name.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, yes....Brakspear's. Used to drink it regularly at Stevie's place in Tetsworth when I lived in Lewknor (Oxon), and when Steve had run out of anything better. I wouldn't call it noxious, but it's a mediocre brew, a bit thin in both taste and body. Mercifully they don't export it to Austin (TX).