• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NBC's "Celebrity Cooking Showdown"

Toliver

"Celebs don aprons for NBC cookout"

The hosts of "[Celebrity Cooking] Showdown" will be Alan Thicke ("Growing Pains") and Sandra Lee ("Semi-Homemade Cooking With Sandra Lee").

A train wreck waiting to happen if ever I've seen one.

I think the shark has been jumped on this concept...jumped, filleted and cut into sushi.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

This might actually turn out to be entertaining, in a campy so-bad-it's-good kind of way. God knows I'm sitting here cracking up just thinking about the projected cast--the producers couldn't have packed more nuts into this cheeseball if they tried. In fact, if I had happened across that story without attribution, I would have been tempted to guess it was an Onion parody.

So--here's a question for those inclined to perhaps-masochistic humor: what celebrity did they neglect to hire so far that desperately needs to be part of this number to totally put it over the top (or send it the rest of the way into the gutter)? Myself, I'm torn between William Shatner (he really didn't get to be his full cheezoid self in that UPN attempt at Iron Chef) and Carson Kressley (no explanation required, I would imagine).

Edited by mizducky (log)

more about this here

Perhaps this thread could get merged...

What Coolio described and what the show looks like it's going to be based upon the promos I've seen seem to be two different things. It looks like just a ripoff of the Iron Chef series, et al, except with "celebrities" helping the chef (let's keep the quote marks for now).

Interesting to note that the show debuts in less than two weeks and the web page on NBC's site promoting the show isn't even finished yet. :hmmm:

edited to change punctuation!

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I've always thought Alan Thicke had less visible talent than anyone I ever saw on television

SB (of course, that was pre-cable) :laugh:

PS: He must be nearly 100 years old?

P-Diddy said that cooking is one of the really great "trends" right now.

Isn't he back to Diddy, now?

Cooking is a trend. How quaint! And I read something scary: Sandra Lee is dating a Cuomo. One who is running for governor or attorney general or senator or something.

Sorry that Gabrielle Reese's career as a professional golfer didn't pan out. :hmmm:

Edited by FabulousFoodBabe (log)
"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

I've always thought Alan Thicke had less visible talent than anyone I ever saw on television 

SB (of course, that was pre-cable) :laugh:

Based on recently posted information I'm now willing to conceded that Alan Thicke is at least as talented as (P-)Diddy, Sandra Lee, or any of the Cuomos.

SB (proving that technological advances are not always improvements) :sad:

She's dating Andrew Cuomo, who was formerly married to Kerry Kennedy. So if they get married, and if he gets elected governor, can you imagine what dinners at the Governor's mansion will be? :shock:

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

She's dating Andrew Cuomo, who was formerly married to Kerry Kennedy.  So if they get married, and if he gets elected governor, can you imagine what dinners at the Governor's mansion will be?  :shock:

Um, "pulled pork" ripped from store-bought barbequed ribs, topped with chili sauce mixed with Good Seasons Italian dressing mix? Served with a fill-in-the-blank 'tini.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Judging by the participants, someone has to redefine the word "celebrity."

We need better incentives to watch, especially with such hosts. NBC is the new FOX these days.

Tom Cruise puffs out his chest all the time about what a great cook he is (or sits blushing as the young actress seated next to him, holding his hand, does the promo for him); I'd watch if he were on.

Put a soft cushiony chair nearby, so if the sauce turns out really good....

P.S. Since PBS has such good cooking shows, why doesn't it air them on weeknights as alternatives to this dreck?

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

My money is on my hometown boy, Tony Gonzales. He and Warren Moon (then Chief's QB) were sous for a Ready-Set-Cook here in KC several years ago. Warren's family owned a restaurant when he was growing up and he clearly knew his way around the kitchen. Tony, not so much, but he's so pretty who cares if he can cook. :wink: Funny, I can't remember who the real chefs were. I guess that speaks volumes about the whole concept. Or me. :shock:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Judging by the participants, someone has to redefine the word "celebrity."

Damn, you beat me to it.

I'm ashamed to admit that I'm a bit of a sucker for "celebrity" humiliation, so I'll probably tune in just to check it out.

The hosts of "[Celebrity Cooking] Showdown" will be Alan Thicke ("Growing Pains") and Sandra Lee ("Semi-Homemade Cooking With Sandra Lee").

This is going to be a hair mousse extravaganza of biblical proportions.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

not wanting to sound bitter and twisted, but from my recent bout of watching american food television, it seems that there is a big disconnect between cooking and good food. cooking is the new entertainment...okay, but there doesn't seem to be much good food around?

isn't the purpose of watching someone cook on television so that we can 1. see something divine that we ordinarily wouldn't be able to 2. learn to make something divine, or useful, or just good. 3. learn stuff about this divine food or how to get the ingredients, and i'm also in the camp of enjoying a bit of sillyiness and wittiness in the kitchen on the screen.

but its all about...looking good on telly. and i hate to say it, dumbing down.

after my recent bout of food network watching, sometimes after a few programs i would just feel kinda sick thinking about what the chefs/presenters/cooks made.

something is wrong here?

what worries me is that people are going to stop thinking that eating well is a good thing, cause they are losing the capacity to differentiate. they think that its all....well, semi homemade and made in minutes and whatever.

of course, now i wish i could share my own adventures with food on the little screen, i'm not saying that this isn't a desire of mine. but in this way: it is to share the whole good eating thing, my discoveries, the wonderful things that are so delicious that i wish everyone could taste.

okay and i'm a ham too. but obviously a ham who needs an agent....anyhow, i wish everyone out in tv land would eat really nicely, and enjoy it, and i don't see that all of this food programming is making either the way we eat, or the food programming, very good.

a culinarily sad marlena

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

a culinarily sad marlena

Anche io.

i've been asking this question around and about eG and it seems that N.Americans don't cook anymore. They're intimidated by their kitchens. Check out the Dream Dinner thread if you really want to become disturbed. I don't understand. There is a serious disconnect going on.

This might actually turn out to be entertaining, in a campy so-bad-it's-good kind of way. God knows I'm sitting here cracking up just thinking about the projected cast--the producers couldn't have packed more nuts into this cheeseball if they tried. In fact, if I had happened across that story without attribution, I would have been tempted to guess it was an Onion parody.

So--here's a question for those inclined to perhaps-masochistic humor: what celebrity did they neglect to hire so far that desperately needs to be part of this number to totally put it over the top (or send it the rest of the way into the gutter)? Myself, I'm torn between William Shatner (he really didn't get to be his full cheezoid self in that UPN attempt at Iron Chef) and Carson Kressley (no explanation required, I would imagine).

I think you're dead-on mizducky about this show being must see train wreck tv. :biggrin:

As for your challenge to name additional "celebrities" here goes:

Vanilla Ice (hey, even his name is food related)

Downtown Julie Brown (haven't seen her in eons; someone that annoying needs to be on this show)

Flava-Flav AND Brigette Nielsen (shockingly, I think they broke up :shock: )

Mr. T ("I pity the fool who touches my zucchini!")

Lil' Kim (hurry up since she's headed for the Big House soon)

More suggestions anyone? :smile:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

As for your challenge to name additional "celebrities" here goes:

Vanilla Ice (hey, even his name is food related)

Downtown Julie Brown (haven't seen her in eons; someone that annoying needs to be on this show)

Flava-Flav AND Brigette Nielsen (shockingly, I think they broke up :shock: )

Mr. T ("I pity the fool who touches my zucchini!")

Lil' Kim (hurry up since she's headed for the Big House soon)

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Maybe some sports celebrities ...

How about that LPGA tour lady who just posed half-naked on the golf greens? She could bring more attention to her sport by cooking in fishnets.

Or those olympic sand-volleyball girls: Bitsy and Mitsy?

The Flying Tomato, of course.

Separately, I wonder why someone hasn't done a food version of "What Not To Wear."

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

This has Cato what's-his-name's name written all over it. And maybe Carrot Top and Pauly Shore as well. And what's Geraldo doing these days?

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

a culinarily sad marlena

Anche io.

i've been asking this question around and about eG and it seems that N.Americans don't cook anymore. They're intimidated by their kitchens. Check out the Dream Dinner thread if you really want to become disturbed. I don't understand. There is a serious disconnect going on.

The really sickening thing is how FTV plays into this; the new cooking shows they offer are all gimmicky, diet or convenience based. "Isn't food a hassle? Well, here's a way to deal with it in 30 minutes! With prepackaged food! That's low in carbs!" Same thing with these cookoffs now; apparently the only way people think we can be interested in food be entertained at the basest level.

• 2 weeks later...