• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

bommerlunder

kai_o

hello-

i am wondering if anyone knows where to purchase bommerlunde in the united states.

it is a german schnapps. my parents grew up in flensburg germany and it was imbibed during the holidays and special occasions. unfortunately i have not seen it available in new jersey for years.

thanks-

Kai

Hallo Kai - is bommerlunder an aquavit? If so there are many comparable products available in the US. I would also suggest contacting the producer directly and letting us know what you discover. Please also ask if/where they sell in Canada if not the USA. Many of us travel north frequently!

Berentzen Brennereien GmbH & Co. KG

Ritterstraße 7

49740 Haselünne

Telefon: +49 (0)59 61 / 502 - 0

Telefax: +49 (0)59 61 / 502 - 268

E-Mail: berentzen@berentzen.de

Internet: www.berentzen.de

In addition, it appears Die Toten Hosen have a song dedicated to the wonders of ice cold Bommerlunder!

Hip Hop Bommi Bop

Hmmm... With my very rusty German, I can't quite tell, either, if Bommerlunder is a flavored spirit like Aquavit or a liqueur like Kummel. Their website seems to indicate it is a German version of Aquavit.

Is it sweetened?

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

There is a charming website (but in German): Bommerlunder

According to their description, the schnapps has a "geringe Hauch vom Kuemmel" or a ‘slight breath of caraway’.

Apparently there are "Bommerlunder Gold" and "Bommerlunder Pflaume" (plum) as well.

edited to add: Welcome to eGullet, kai_o!

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Thank you for the responses and welcomes.

Yes, Boomerlunder is an Aquavit.

I spoke to Berentzen Distillers and they stated that Bommerlunder is not available in the U.S. They did suggest that I try "Doornkaat" which appears to be a "traditional maize-based schnapps", and hopefully simillar to Boomerlunder. I really enjoyed the caraway essence of Boomelunder.

I will certainly report back and let everyone know the results.

thanks!

Kai

Doornkaat is a juniper schnapps (also made by Berentzen) usually found in the gin section of the liquor store.

If you like the caraway flavor, I would recommend you try one of the better scandanavian aquavits like Linie.

edit - spelling

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA