• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cascazilla

Sneakeater

At RUB in New York City last night, I had a beer (well, an ale, actually) that was new to me: Cascazilla, a red ale from Ithaca, New York. I'm so excited about it that I wanted post a note here.

The barmaid described this ale as "hoppy". That was an understatement. This was the first ale I've ever thought to describe as "perfumed". Lots of citrusy overtones. If you like hops, you'll love this.

I'm told it's only available from November through March. So act fast, or get ready to wait.

At RUB in New York City last night, I had a beer (well, an ale, actually) that was new to me:  Cascazilla, a red ale from Ithaca, New York.  I'm so excited about it that I wanted post a note here.

The barmaid described this ale as "hoppy".  That was an understatement.  This was the first ale I've ever thought to describe as "perfumed".  Lots of citrusy overtones.  If you like hops, you'll love this.

I'm told it's only available from November through March.  So act fast, or get ready to wait.

Who makes it? I'm assuming it's Ithaca Brewing Co., but you know what happens when you assume.....

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I'll admit that I looked it up but, yeah, it's from Ithaca Brewing. Sounds good, too. (That reminds me that I have some friends in Dryden that I haven't seen in a while...hmmm...).

Anyway- Sneakeater- if you liked this beer and you would like some alternate suggestions for when it is not available please do post back. I'm sure that there are quite a few similar year-round beers that you could find easily. Also, if you see the Troegs Nugget Nectar around- it's also a seasonal, but get some if you can- there's a different hop profile but it looks like it is in the same ballpark stylistically. That beer freakin' rocks.

I had a beer (well, an ale, actually)

Forgive the didacticism but that disctinction isn't really necessary. It's all beer.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."