• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sediment in my Springbank single malt

eatrustic

I have a couple of bottles of Springbank 12 yr. 100 proof that I've had for about 10 years or so. These were known as the "Dark, dark" I believe and there was some conjecture at the time that they were actually much older but through some bottling error had been mixed with 12 and thus had to be called that. Who knows for sure.

Anyway....these two bottles (one open and the other untouched) have been stored in a cellar for the last couple of years and I noticed when I pulled them out that they are developing sediment. Is this normal? I've seen it with wine but never with spirits.

It is normal after time for sediments to settle at the bottom of the bottle. So it's not abnormal. Some people prefer seeing sediment at the bottom of the bottle, and some don't. As far as how it tastes, should still be okay, but 10 years is quite a while to hold on to a bottle of single malt. So I would drink that sucker soon. What're you waiting for, anyways?

Thanks for the info.

As far as drinking it up. I have many different whiskeys and as long as they are at least 3/4 full and/or unopened there should be little or no degradation. Some of these are one of a kind and I would rather appreciate them over time then finish them off.

Obviously, once I get past the half way mark things get dicey and then I make it my go to whiskey!