• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Wonder Seafood", Edison NJ

markk

This place has been mentioned in passing on other threads - that's how I learned of it - and I have loved it the few times I've gone.

Today I was in the neighborhood, and had a dim sum meal there so incredibly good that I thought it deserved its own thread. It reminded me that while a schlep, it really is good enough to merit the trip to Exit 10 on the Jersey Turnpike, and I post this in case there are any Gulleteers who are as crazy as I am, or who want to file it away for whenever they're in the neighborhood.

I'm sorry that I don't have any photos, but I scanned the dim sum menu card (there's only cart service on Weekends and Holidays) becaus I think it's interesting. When they offer the cart service, there are many, many more offerings than on the printed list, btw.

wonder-dim-sum.gif

The Siu Mai is the least good thing they make. The Har Gao are delicate and delicious, but still don't reflect the glory of the place. The Shrimp Fun (Cheung Fun) are exquisite - light, and fluffy, and simply ethereal, and they remind me of a description that I believe Pan wrote once about having a similarly great version of the plain noodles at a place that he had discovered in Flushing; I've had this dish a billion times in my life, and never like this. I also noticed dozens of orders of "Crispy Fun Noodle" going by, and had that as well; it was out of this world.

Two absolute standouts - I don't think I've ever had dim sum this delicate and flavorful or exquisite before I started going here, were again #29 "Steamed Watercress Dumplings with Pork & Shrimp" and #30 "Steamed Spinach Dumplings with Shrimp & Scallops".

I also like the vibe at this place - it's modern and clean, and as usual, my party of two was the only non-Chinese table out of a full restaurant of several dozen tables - and the people there are always families of several generations, all quite obviously feasting on tables groaning with all manner delicious-looking foods - dumplings, whole fish, vegetables, etc. It's a happy looking crowd.

I've never made it for dinner, but I'd like to. But I post this in case there are any Dim Sum lovers who might be in the neighborhood, or as crazy as I am to make the trek.

Edited by markk (log)

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

I tried Wonder Seafood this past Sunday with a friend. While for the most part, I enjoyed the meal, I was disappointed by the lack of service we received compared to other patrons. Fist of all, we waited around a bit not knowing that we needed to check in and get a numbered ticket. Second, we were seated with another group who spoke chinese (we tried to be friendly with them but they didn't reciprecate). I truly felt we received a different level of treatment from the other Chinese patrons. For example the dim sum carts regularly stopped at the other end of the table for the Chinese family but would pass us by. After about 15 minutes the manager stopped at our side of the table with a joking smile and asked us what we wanted. I politely responded that I wanted the dim sum cart. The cart finally came however the servers didn't speak english and had a hard time explaining what they had. I just pointed and took what looked good and for the most part I wasn't disappointed. Again good food however I felt uncomfortable with the experience. I probably will not return.

I actually enjoy going here for dinner more than dim sum but I agree it is good. Another good place down that ways for dim sum is Dragonball. I forget the address. Tastewise, I think it's the opposite where the dim sum is better than the dinner. But ya, it's too much of a trek especially since I enjoy eating dim sum in Ridgewood's Dim Sum Dynasty more. Biggest problem with them is the selection but otherwise, I think they trump these guys in taste in quality. I'm going to have to start documenting what I eat there w/ photos because I've found myself practically advertising this place this past week in the forums. =\ I do love eating there...Gotta back up my claims. ;)

can you give me a general idea of what it's nearby on route 27? Thanks.

It's approximately 1.2 miles south of the interchange with 287.

While for the most part, I enjoyed the meal,  I was disappointed by the lack of service we received compared to other patrons.

This has happened to me at other Dim Sum places. I agree with you that it's unpleasant indeed.

The cart finally came however the servers didn't speak english and had a hard time explaining what they had. I just pointed and took what looked good and for the most part I wasn't disappointed...

I think that only one or two of the servers there speak English.

For me, the realization that I've stumbled onto a a place that caters to a nationality of people in their native language and presumably with the authentic food they seek in a foreign land (be it Chinese, French, whatever) is a turn-on. (Would that I could find authentic Jewish food this way!) But for the record it is true that only a very few people working at this restaurant speak English.

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

I tried Wonder Seafood this past Sunday with a friend.  While for the most part, I enjoyed the meal,  I was disappointed by the lack of service we received compared to other patrons. Fist of all, we waited around a bit not knowing that we needed to check in and get a numbered ticket. Second, we were seated with another group who spoke chinese (we tried to be friendly with them but they didn't reciprecate). I truly felt we received a different level of treatment from the other Chinese patrons. For example the dim sum carts regularly stopped at the other end of the table for the Chinese family but would pass us by. After about 15 minutes the manager stopped at our side of the table with a joking smile and asked us what we wanted. I politely responded that I wanted the dim sum cart. The cart finally came however the servers didn't speak english and had a hard time explaining what they had. I just pointed and took what looked good and for the most part I wasn't disappointed. Again good food however I felt uncomfortable with the experience. I probably will not return.

I have stopped eating most Chinese food because of this. I have posted my complaint about this before but it is such a pet peeve of mine that I'll make this case again. It is not, in my opinion, acceptable to receive second class service in a Chinese restaurant because you happen to be white any more than it would be acceptable to discriminate against black patrons in a white owned restaurant. While in the later case you might find the restaurant slapped with a lawsuit, a la Denny's, or find Al Sharpton out front picketing no one seems to find anything wrong with the former. Same goes with the special menu for Chinese people at these places. Again imagine being black and going to a restaurant and asking for the "White person's" menu: your head would explode and you'd be right. Somehow though with the Chinese restaurant its part of the charm. And I don't believe for a minute that this can be chalked up to the language barrier, its more a way of discouraging you, the white patron, from returning to the establishment. They, the restaurant owners, don't want your business, if they did they'd do more to make you want to return.

Edited by dbrociner (log)

We went there on a Sunday and had a great time. The place was very busy and they asked if we would be OK seated at a large table with others. They sat the 2 of us and a few minutes later another couple and their 2 very well behaved children joined us. The other couple was charming and very friendly. I think they were from the Phillipiens. The owner/manager was very nice to us. I certainly did not get the feeling that they were discouraging non Chineses. That goes to show you how 2 people can get totally different feelings from a place.

I need to clarify my previous post about the "Dragonball" Restaurant. Technically, there's no such place. It's actually called 1-9 Seafood Restaurant in South Avenel. Apparently, it's called Dragonball something or another in Chinese and thus I've only heard it referred to as "Dragonball." It pays to actually *look* at the sign of the restaurant you're going to eh? ;) I wasn't the one driving...Anyhow, sorry for any confusion!

I stopped in for a heavy snack/light meal on Saturday afternoon. Had a bit of uncomforatbleness when I first sat down and they were trying to take away the chop sticks and give me a fork. Was asked if I was sure I wnated to use chopsticksand I commented that I eat with chop sticks at least three times a week and am quite used to eating dim sum, including more eclectic things. After that, I was well served.

I had shrimp dumplings with were standard, spring rolls which were pretty good, some sort of soft beef noodle roll and a larger dumpling with pork, greens and peanuts. It was good and relatively inexpensive at about $11.50 with tip for 7 dumplings and 6 spring roll sized items. Would rather go with more people next time so I get a better sampling.

• 2 weeks later...

Ever since wilsonrabbit posted about 1-9 Seafood Restaurant (which is on Rts. 1&9 South, in Avenel, NJ, not far from Exit 12 on the NJT), I have become a semi-regular there. I don't think the dim sum is AS good as at Wonder (especially the "cheung fun"), but I have come to love it, and it is a lot closer to the north. It's a big, bustling Dim Sum Parlor kind of place, and again, the clientele seems to be (except for me) exclusively Chinese. Even the website has no english on it ! (www.19seafood.com). The people are great, and I've had the same waiter each time I've gone.

One of the dishes I always have is "steamed pork ribs with black beans" and the last time I was there I had the Chicken Feet as well.

Until today I had only been there for "menu" dim sum on weekdays, but today I got to experience the full "cart service". After I had pretty much eaten my body weight in dim sum, a cart passed by that didn't have steamer baskets of dumplings, but rather "wells" of things that they scoop out, and the waitress said, basically, "I don't know if you'll like these" and described some things that I wasn't crazy about, but would have tried had I not been so full. Well, my regular waiter came running over, and pulled her back, and said to me "you HAVE to try the Duck Feet - you will like it" (I'm sure he was right) but after a heated discussion with the waitress pushing the cart, it turned out that she didn't have them!

Then, after I had eaten yet more, the waiter came by to tell me that an approaching cart had something I should try - they were what I only know in French as "whitebait" - little tiny fish perhaps an inch long, fried to cruncy; at that point, I thought I would explode if I had any more food, so I explained that to him, and he actually patted my [formidable] stomach (many waiters do that) and told me that he thought I could hold a little more food; but, I could not, and intend to return as soon as possible for this dish.

So, I'm in love with this place! As far as Americans receiving 'sub-par' treatment in Chinese restaurants, I personally have never experienced it, and I eat in as many Chinese restaurants as I can find; the treatment I described above has always been the norm for me. Perhaps it's because I had the Chicken Feet and they knew that I wasn't afraid of non-typically-Western foods, and perhaps not.

But thank you wilsonrabbit for posting about this place !!

...  Even the website has no english on it !  (www.19seafood.com).

Actually, if you mouse over the buttons and arrows, you'll see what they are (down in the lower left of your browser) and if you click on them you will see menus and such, with English.

I am dying to go there now. (and it's very local for me!)

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

• 2 weeks later...

markk, I'm glad you enjoy the 1-9 restaurant. My family's sorta split on whether 1-9 or Wonder has the better dim sum but overall we lean towards Wonder. Both are tasty though and I think it's just down to personal preference. Especially since some dishes will be better at one place while other dishes are good elsewhere so it really also depends on what dishes you like. Kinda like your cheung fun evaluation. I've found the waiters at both restaurants to be helpful. Wonder had a funny, young guy who spoke good English but haven't seen him in a while. 1-9 has a waitress who's really really nice and helpful. We love getting her so maybe she's your regular one too. The rest are ok, but she's really great.

I'm curious as to what the food in the 'wells' were. Was it rice porridge (congee)? Or stuff like tripe or beef tendons in a soupy broth/sauce? I'm getting hungry thinking about dim sum...

Yes, that was the congee cart, and one of the other things in a "well" (I just didn't know how to describe it) was tripe, and something she could only describe as "three pork", which I was tempted by, except for how I was ready to explode.

But on a sad note, this past Sunday I took a friend to 1&9 for dim sum (who loves Wonder), and 1&9 had (naturally) a bad day - things were really off the mark.

It won't stop me from going back, but I think at this point Wonder has the edge for freshness and delicacy.

Interestingly, on Sunday, the little fried fish were nowhere to be seen, and in fact, neither was the congee cart. And we arrived at 2, a full hour before dim-sum ends - and the place was packed!!

• 2 months later...

Recently ate here and took some photos of dinner. Tasty as usual. When we're in the area, we like to eat here for dinner. Thought I'd share the photos which aren't great quality. Bad lighting for my mobile. Ah well.

Frog

gallery_19886_3243_7793.jpg

Soft Shell Crab

gallery_19886_3243_20665.jpg

Fried Fish (flounder I think it was...or sole? some flat fish.)

gallery_19886_3243_34136.jpg

Water spinach w/ fermented soy bean curd

gallery_19886_3243_19251.jpg

Fried Rice w/ salted fish

gallery_19886_3243_18502.jpg