• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Newspaper restaurant reviews

I've always had a passing fondness for Terry Durack too, ever since I read his contribution to Conran's "Restaurants".

It's a guide to restauranteurs on how to get a good review.  I got to the stage of 'ow, it hurts to laugh this much'.

A question, apropos regionality:

Do the better critics tend to be London based? Mainly SE England?

I'm very regional. I live in Brixton instead of Notting Hill like all the others.

Jay

I've always had a passing fondness for Terry Durack too, ever since I read his contribution to Conran's "Restaurants".

It's a guide to restauranteurs on how to get a good review.  I got to the stage of 'ow, it hurts to laugh this much'.

A question, apropos regionality:

Do the better critics tend to be London based? Mainly SE England?

Oh sorry. Just noticed you were asking about the 'better' critics.

Edited by jayrayner (log)

Jay

I don't think the restaurant community really know who she is

-- Harry

They haven't got a clue and are desperate to find out - her audience is huge and she is genuinely influencial in London. All the other critics just think they are.

This morning's Guardian has an article all about The unknown food critic, although in typical Grauniad style they can't even decide how to spell her surname!

Is it me or does anyone else think its a coincidence that a fairly easily researched story runs a mere 7 days after it was first discussed here... :huh:

The piece does seem to be apropos of absolutely nothing doesn't it?

I can exclusively reveal that the April edition of olive has the first ever picture of Marina to be published in a national magazine as part of its "Critics off duty" feature. I don't know why she hasn't been spotted before because, as a completely featureless black shilloutte, she must stand out a mile in a restaurant.

Edited by Andy Lynes (log)