• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Matyson (LaBan, etc.)

kretch

He recently suggested that Matyson is now a standard deviation or two better than it used to be. Is this accurate?

I'm going to be in Philly for a single day next week, around Market St/Rittenhouse, and I'm looking for an interesting lunch. When I was working at 19th and Market Matyson's lunch was perfectly pleasant... but what pray tell has gotten Laban all hot and bothered lately?

BTW, this isn't really a post about LaBan, feel free to leave him out of it. I'm just trying to figure out where to eat the most interesting lunch next week. I might try the bar at Striped Bass in the alternate. (I expect to be dining solo.)

"I've been served a parsley mojito. Shit happens." - philadining

He recently suggested that Matyson is now a standard deviation or two better than it used to be. Is this accurate?

I'm going to be in Philly for a single day next week, around Market St/Rittenhouse, and I'm looking for an interesting lunch. When I was working at 19th and Market Matyson's lunch was perfectly pleasant... but what pray tell has gotten Laban all hot and bothered lately?

BTW, this isn't really a post about LaBan, feel free to leave him out of it. I'm just trying to figure out where to eat the most interesting lunch next week. I might try the bar at Striped Bass in the alternate. (I expect to be dining solo.)

They don't serve lunch at Striped Bass. You won't be eating there.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Shows how long it's been. Did Starr even try it or has there never been lunch since the sale?

PS Thanks for the recommendations!

Edited by kretch (log)

Shows how long it's been. Did Starr even try it or has there never been lunch since the sale?

PS Thanks for the recommendations!

I don't think he ever tried it, but I'm not downtown during the day enough to really know.

Try Le Bec Fin's lunch. Still one of the best deals in town. We'll see for how long.

Based in part on comments in the article in Sunday's Inky, I expect LeBecFin to not be around in a few years.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

In LaBan's 4-Bells review, Georges Perrier is quoted as saying that he thought that Le Bec Fin wouldn't be around in a few years, that the time had passed for that kind of restaurant. (The articles are significantly abbreviated on-line, this was in the print version.)

It's hard to say if Perrier was just being dramatic, or if he's really thinking of closing it up.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

In LaBan's 4-Bells review, Georges Perrier is quoted as saying that he thought that Le Bec Fin wouldn't be around in a few  years, that the time had passed for that kind of restaurant.  (The articles are significantly abbreviated on-line, this was in the print version.)

It's hard to say if Perrier was just being dramatic, or if he's really thinking of closing it up.

Georges Perrier announces that every few years.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I'm leaning towards believing it, because of his chef succession problems at LeBec, other grand dame French places going out of business in NYC.  Or at least my gut instinct is believing.

Yeah, but he manufactures most of his own problems. And Philadelphia isn't New York, in that our market can support restaurants NY would see as hopelessly outdated for decades.

I don't think Perrier can live without the spotlight. And Brasserie Perrier and Le-Mas-Georges-Perrier-Or-Whatever don't provide the needed wattage. His high profile in the city's dining culture is entirely tied to LBF, and that alone ensures it will live on.

Edited by Capaneus (log)

I actually agree with Laban.

LBF probably wont be around next decade.

Not my personal opinion, just an observation and prediction...

The restaurant currently doesnt have Georges P as the sole creative head as far as food is concerned. Menu is a mix of old classics and some new "creativity".

For many years, no one has seriously challenged the top end of philadelphia restaurants.

Even LBF realises they are becoming a dinosaur, peoples tastes have changed, who wants to seat through a 3 hour $500 meal in Philadelphia, sure there are lots of people but they are getting long in the tooth. I personally know for a fact that Perrier considers his biggest threat to be SRO.

That is why LBF has slowly moved away from the price fixed dinner to a la carte options.

Unfortunately, with Striped Bass's 4 bell, its pretty much polishing the deck chairs on the titanic.

Capeneus if LBF is in business and perrier is still the "chef" on January 1 2010,

I will pay for your dinner.

I personally know for a fact that Perrier considers his biggest threat to be SRO.

SRO? what's that? i know i'm gonna feel like an idiot for not knowing as soon as you say it...

kretch, i think you should go to mummer's favorite food truck when you're in town. check out the sandwich thread.

Yeah, but he manufactures most of his own problems. And Philadelphia isn't New York, in that our market can support restaurants NY would see as hopelessly outdated for decades.

I don't think Perrier can live without the spotlight. And Brasserie Perrier and Le-Mas-Georges-Perrier-Or-Whatever don't provide the needed wattage. His high profile in the city's dining culture is entirely tied to LBF, and that alone ensures it will live on.

True, he's not the easist boss/chef/restauranteur.

Anyone with friends/acquaintances in the business knows at least one person who can complain about him.

And Philly is most definitely not New York, but I wouldn't say that the same restaurants can be supported for decades longer.

Maybe one decade longer.

But would Perrier prefer to go out on top?

After the troubles with the various versions of Le Mas Perrier, is that a harbinger of future problems?

Yes, he's definitely a ham for the spotlight. That's probably part of the reason he's here rather than NYC. He knows it's about as large a market as he can dominate to the extent he does without competing with others as much as he would in places like NYC.

SRO---the Starr Restaurant Organization

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Georges Perrier fearing the Starr Restaurant Organization is akin to Lucianno Pavarotti feeling threatened by John Travolta after Travolta's singing debut in Grease.

Doesn't mean it's not a valid fear though considering what's happening hereabouts.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

In LaBan's 4-Bells review, Georges Perrier is quoted as saying that he thought that Le Bec Fin wouldn't be around in a few  years, that the time had passed for that kind of restaurant.  (The articles are significantly abbreviated on-line, this was in the print version.)

Especially when Mobile demotes him to 4 Stars again. Yeh it's true, he lost the 5th star AGAIN. I doubt he has it in him to get it back a second time. It would truely be one of the greatest losses in Phila's culinary historyif Le bec was no more.

Edited by CherieV (log)

CherieV

Eat well, drink better!

Especially when Mobile demotes him to 4 Stars again. Yeh it's true, he lost the 5th star AGAIN. I doubt he has it in him to get it back a second time. It would truely be one of the greatest losses in Phila's culinary historyif Le bec was no more.

When did that happen? The loss of the fifth star that is, not the demise of LBF. And why didn't the Inky catch it? Or did I sleep through class yet again?

When did that happen? The loss of the fifth star that is, not the demise of LBF. And why didn't the Inky catch it? Or did I sleep through class yet again?

This is still word of mouth from higher-ups at Le Bec. Also, when I was at Lacroix on Sat. it was the talk. It hasn't been announced officially yet and I suspect Le Bec is fighting to retain it. Mobile will tell you several months before when you are on the verge. I was at Le bec about a month ago and it was also whispered in my ear that it was a possibility. I was working there the first time it happened and Georges was devestated to the point that he wanted to close.

Edited by CherieV (log)

CherieV

Eat well, drink better!

The direction of the thread almost has me thinking I should do lunch at Le Bec while I'm in town. Would hate to see the place close before my next return visit. ;)

Here's a dumb question - anyone know if LBL is open during lunch hours? I've only ever gone downstairs at night. I don't know what my schedule looks like the day I'm in town so a reservation is out of the question (jas, you'd be my first choice for a date, sugar.)

actually jas, if LBL is open during lunch, would you want I try and call an audible and meet you there for a plate or two? Probably sometime after 1 and before 3.

or maybe i'll just go down to wash ave with shola for some pho. haha.

any more recs?

tmk

I didn't get my Perrier decoder ring, but assuming that by LBL you mean Le Bar Lyonnaise, indeed it is open for lunch: 11am-2:30pm, monday-friday. I have no idea whether it's regularly jammed or if a walk-in is doable. It's always worth a shot.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I didn't get my Perrier decoder ring, but assuming that by LBL you mean Le Bar Lyonnaise, indeed it is open for lunch: 11am-2:30pm, monday-friday.  I have no idea whether it's regularly jammed or if a walk-in is doable. It's always worth a shot.

It's generally pretty quiet for lunch, however I believe they only serve till 2pm.

CherieV

Eat well, drink better!

Georges Perrier fearing the Starr Restaurant Organization is akin to Lucianno Pavarotti feeling threatened by John Travolta after Travolta's singing debut in Grease.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

But can Pavarotti dance?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Its been no secret for a long time but Perrier doesnt generate anywhere near as much revenue as SRO.

While the client demographic isnt entirely the same, he realises this.

La Mas doesnt really know what it wants to be.

The food at Brasserie Perrier hasnt changed since the day it opened

Le bec does OK but even that is hurt by other high end operations in the hood.

I hear he is opening a new place in center city in the comcast building ?

Any truth to that ?

Its been no secret for a long time but Perrier doesnt generate anywhere near as much revenue as SRO.

While the client demographic isnt entirely the same, he realises this.

La Mas doesnt really know what it wants to be.

The food at Brasserie Perrier hasnt changed since the day it opened

Le bec does OK but even that is hurt by other high end operations in the hood.

I hear he is opening a new place in center city in the comcast building ?

Any truth to that ?

It would be amazing if he did generate as much revenue; he has 1/3 as many restaurants as Starr.

Starr has a much better organization, both operationally and financially.

Sure, the check average at LBF is a decent bit above any of the other restaurants from either, but that can't make up for the # of restaurants.

But I do think the food at BP has gotten better, although its style and mode may not be. I wasn't especially impressed when I was there 5-6 years ago, but the rave reviews from everyone with nary a negative review makes me think that Chris Scarduzio has really whipped the kitchen into shape there.

I have heard nothing about the Comcast Center restaurant.

It would be interesting.

He does have a small cafe in the new Boyds mens store.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.