• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Squid Ink Pasta

Mussina

I am planning to make some squid ink pasta. Does anyone have any tips as far as how much ink to use? Also, any tricks for insuring that it won't turn my guest's teeth black?? (This happened to me in a restaurant -- NOT a good look).

I didn't find that it was much in the way of flavor; more a color/visual thing when you mix it in with the pasta.

Go easy on the amount you put in; like bbq says 2 teaspoons at the most would be enough. It's very potent. Make sure you don't work the dough on a surface that stains easily/permanently and have flour on hand.

Wouldn't it be easier to first mix the ink with the eggs and then knead it into the dough? That way, you don't have to worry about staining.

Eggszactly :wink:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher