• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Noilly Ambré

Ajl92

Okay, I wasn't certain in which forum to post this, so I'll start here (since vermouth and the like are discussed in this forum) and ask again in the France and Wine forums later on...

When I was in France last year studying abroad, staying with a family in the Alpes I truly had the (culinary and otherwise) time of my life. I remember one particular aperitif (other than the daily Pastis) that I enjoyed very much called Noilly Ambre. One evening the young lady who I traveled with neglected to finish her drink and I offered to finish it off with the cheese course, and I can still taste how wonderful this matched with the bleu cheese at the sugestion of my French host father. The family explained that they picked it up on a trip to the south (?) of France at the source where it is made, by the same maker of, I am assuming, Noilly Prat. They explained that the wine was left in large vats outside through summer and winter and the sugars caramelized and the wine becomes concentrated. I wasn't able to find a bottle before leaving France and I'm afraid I won't find something like this in the US. I was wondering though, if any of you have tried this or if this sounds similar to Madeira which I believe is made through a similar process, which I have yet to try.

cheers

This is made by Noilly Prat, although it does not seem to be widely distributed. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be much information on Noilly Prat's web site, which doesn't even have a listing of all the products made by the company.

As for the wine aging in barrels outside for a year, this is correct. But it is the same process that is used for all the Noilly Prat vermouth.

--

• 10 months later...

Admin: threads merged.

Hi All,

I managed to buy a few bottles of Noilly Ambre today and would love to know some more about this interesting product.

If anyone has any information on production and also any good cocktail recipes, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

J

I thought it was only available there too. Whilst in a shop in Piccadilly today I saw a lone bottle beside a champagne display. No-one in the shop knew anything about it but they did have a couple more bottles in the back which I bought too.

Looking forward to drinking it!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm jealous. I started a thread about a year ago after I returned from France to find that it is not available ANYWHERE in the US.

It is great on its own, neat, chilled, or over an ice cube. I tried it as an aperatif, and with the drink left in the glass enjoyed it immensely with a piece of Bleu D'auvergne. I recall searching online to find one page about a trip to Marseille that included a note about a drink with Noilly Ambre in it, will have to do a quick google search to find it again. Congrats on the great find.

• 1 month later...
I'm jealous.  I started a thread about a year ago after I returned from France to find that it is not available ANYWHERE in the US.

It is great on its own, neat, chilled, or over an ice cube.  I tried it as an aperatif, and with the drink left in the glass enjoyed it immensely with a piece of Bleu D'auvergne.  I recall searching online to find one page about a trip to Marseille that included a note about a drink with Noilly Ambre in it, will have to do a quick google search to find it again.  Congrats on the great find.

I hope Jazzyjeff won't be too upset of I share the fact the "shop in Piccadilly" is Fortnum and Mason. They originally sourced the Noilly Ambre for use in the 1707 wine bar, where they include it in their version of the Hankey Pankey Cocktail (in which they also incorporate some own brand marmelade), however they now have it as a regular stock item in the wine dept.

gethin